1989 1.3 FORD FIESTA (SUPERSPORT)

I have been given a 1989 1.3 fiesta sport, (supersport i think they were called) The car is special in that it has sat in storage since

1992, Has one owner (who sadly died) 11000 (genuine) miles and full history and for a car this age is in superp condition ie no rust een under wheel arches.

Now as you can imagine a car that hasnt moved for 15 years has a few problems, Almost every moving part has stuck (through lack of use) however i believe I have fixed all but two issues.

In short with only various oils and cleaners/flushes and one condenser/oilfilter and set of sparks I now have the engine working to a non mechanics ears great. (althought the choke doesnt work as this is still one of the stuck parts.issue 1) The breaks are now working fine, Car starts reasonably well and there is almost 0 colouration to the exhaust (except for the initial ignition puff)

My biggest problem now is the clutch , The car goes into the gear when the engine is off but does not when engine running, I have check the clutch cable mechanism and can clearly see it is moving the release lever. But thats as far as my knowledge takes me. I have the hanyes manual for this car but I cannot determine correctly (due to not being a mechanic) wether the clutch can be taken out with the engine in or only when out and wether i need wheel ramps etc or any other special tools

So my question (eventually) is this, Can the clutch be removed with the engine in and is the release bearing which I understand the lever is connected to part of the clutch.

Also If the advice is "David dont be a fool get a pro to do it", How much would a reputable mechanic charge to take of a clutch clean it and put it back on, As I strongly believe that the problem is all the fluid has dried up over 16 years of total non use (as has been the case on the entire car,It really has only done 11k) and just need cleaning and lubricating, Any way thats my question (i am not a mechanic and this is the first time I have got my head under a car bonnet and have just worked from the Hanyes manuals to get this far).

Look forward to some good understandable advice.

David

Reply to
david.eyes1

( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

'89 - F/G-reg - mk2 or mk3?

The usual way on cars like this (the Fester may be different for some reason) is to leave the engine in, but take the gearbox out.

Yes.

But... you may not need to change the clutch. You may well be able to free it off.

Where is the car? Get it outside the garage and to a quiet area with plenty of space.

Get the engine thoroughly warmed up. Turn the engine off. Put it in gear. Press the clutch. Start the engine, keeping the clutch pressed. If it catches, hit the brakes hard.

You will almost certainly find that the seal of corrosion that's holding the friction plate to the flywheel and pressure plate will break quite quickly, and you'll be fine.

Just change the clutch for a new one.

There shouldn't BE any fluid.

Reply to
Adrian

The clutch has stuck, it will probably free if you try to start the car with it in first gear and the clutch pressed down, beware as it may just drive away, this is not a problem as a few stabs on the brake or rapid acceleration and deceleration will free the clutch, just remember to hold the clutch pedal down till it frees.

I would charge 90 pounds plus parts (if needed) to take the clutch out and replace it, however I and most mechanics would be able to free the clutch without removal. Clutch removal on one of these is not especially easy for the diyer.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice , Just tried tried the start in gear trick but, failed....Not enough space or battery charge now waiting for the battery to recharge. One change to the car spec which is its not an

1989 (as i mityped) but its a 1981 w reg so this make it a mark 1 i think, does this change the advice.
Reply to
david.eyes1

Nope, get it nice & hot first, if you've no space sit the front on axle stands, take thw wheels off, chock the rear wheels , start it in 5th & then try the brakes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I don't think Mark 1 Fiestas had five forward gears! I passed my driving test in a V-reg 1100 Mark 1.

Tony

Reply to
Oxford News

Fair point. Come to think of it my main experience of this was our old Marina & that only just had 4 gears.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, but it does make it a bit more desirable as a classic, I'd think. Don't run it into the ground - if you need a cheap runabout, flog this through the pages of one of the Ford mags or on fleaBay.

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah, deffo the clutch stuck to the pressure plate with age and corrosion. I used to get this with a MK1 Escort after it had been sitting for only a couple of months. You could try wedging the clutch pedal down with a stick of something and leaving it for a couple of nights, but unlikely to work. Needs a good sharp shock to crack the join. A bit of violence can be needed here if it won't shift after first few tries with other methods mentioned here. If starting in gear doesn't work then its time to get violent. Make sure you have room for the car to jump forward a few feet. Get it nice and warm, 2500 RPM with clutch down and force it into 1st. Do it briskly in one movement, don't push it slowly. You need to be violent here. Its not a nice thing to do, but will shift it if all else fails. The car will lurch forward a couple of feet and stall. If it doesn't work by second try you will know for sure it need to be dismantled. And yes agree, the Mk1 Fiesta had four gears. Lovely old cars.

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

do not do the above, it may work and it may/probably will f#ck the gearbox.

start the car in gear and drive it with the clutch down in first gear, a few violent accellerations and decellerations will clear the fault.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Especially if it is indeed a 1.3 SuperSport.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Conor wittered on forthwith;

If it is a Supersport, I'll buy it off him!

Reply to
Pete M

Wrong. Very Very unlikely and as done it many times myself with stored cars, have never f#uked a gearbox. I am talking from real world, not guessing. How many times have you tried it?

But it doesn't always clear the fault.

Reply to
bucket

I have too much mechanical sympathy to do that in the first place, perhaps if it was life or death I would try it, but otherwise, no.

I also talk from 40 years experience in the motor trade, including roadside recovery work, working on fleets of old wrecks, including driving them back from Scotland to the Sarf with inoperative clutches, my own landrover which sticks the clutch after just a few months, customers stored cars etc. etc..

And yes, I have unstuck many, many clutches over the years, but never by brutalising the gearbox as you describe.

I have seen several wrecked gearboxes where people have stuffed the lever into gear because they didn't know how to drive without a clutch, so I am very sure that the gearbox can be wrecked by shoving the gearlever into gear as you describe.

I am pleased that you have got away with it so far, but I won't need reminding not to buy a used car from you.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful