1989 udi 100 Transaxle

I have to find another complete 087 series 3speed transmission and

> differential for my last-of-the-100s. I have bought very cheaply a very > tidy car but the trans is very dead... > > My option at this stage is to buy a breakeryard unit that will be given a > freshen up, even a reconditioning and so my question is more about > differentials than anything.... > > It need a serviceable diff though (see later) so, is it a good rough-check > guide of the state of a diff that by holding one output driveshaft and > rotating the opposite side there shouldn't be lots of rotational movement? > > The car i have, i could rotate the Lobro joints had about 50

degrees...that

was a lot of slop for any diff in my book. > > Background: > The car is actually badged a 1989 100 2.2 EE, 5 cylinder. I pulled the diff > to pieces yesterday and discovered the crownwheel and pinion are history and > lots of metal sludge in the bottom of the case.. The pinion carrier bearing on the end > into the auto trans end had grenaded so the auto trans MUST be smashed > inside. The governor has lost most of its teeth too and its centrifugal > weights had broken off. The ex-owner must have noticed the whine noises? > > Sadly, the car itself is in lovely condition with a great interior. The > ex-owner had installed a new battery and on the day he refuelled it ceased > shifting up from 1st. He'd had services done but for some reason 'they' > never picked up on the importance of diff oil levels and the ATF mixing > failure thing.... > > Any advice appreciated. > > Pete > >
Reply to
Pete

Not really, you get a lot of slop at the best of times & it doesn't seem to increase with wear (although yours sounds exceptional, the state of the fluids probably the best indication without running it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood