Transaxle vent?

My swing axle boots leak profusely on both sides, even after several proper reinstallations of new high quality boots. Strange. After searching old posts here, I've come to the conclusion that it might be a clogged transaxle vent. Trouble is, as long as I've been fooling with air cooled VDubs, I've never seen a vent hole. Is this an urban legend or is there really a transaxle vent hole? Please, is there someone out there who can tell me where to look? It's in my Imp so I'm pretty sure I can get to it whereever it is. Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Look in your Bentley manual; the vent is in the nosecone.

And, yes, a clogged vent will blow the booties up like a balloon.

Don't know how much clearance you have, but on a sedan you can drill a hole thru the sheet metal under the back seat to get at it.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Yes, it's in the nose cone, facing straight forward, right at the top of the flange to the next part of the tranny housing. It's a hole about 1/8" diameter, or a little less.

-

Jim Adney