1993 Ford Escort underheating

I drive a Ford Escort GHIA 1 16v 1993 Estate, and even after a half hour journey the temperature gauge does not move out of the little white square at the bottom of the temp gauge, even during the summer the temperature gauge never quite gets to the normal operating reading.

The engine is a 1.8 Zetec petrol that has only done 55000 miles.

Also I had the front heated screen replaced a couple of years ago yet the drivers side of the screen does NOT demist when I switch on the demister element, the heater element works on the passenger side and both rear view mirrors.

Strange that only half the screen works, I thought a faulty element would effect the whole screen.

Any views on these problems welcomed.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

the screen is in two halves for the element, the connectors are probably at the bottom of the screen under the bonnet, older escorts had them at the top by the mirror. I expect that a connector is either not on, or snapped off.

By the sound of it you need a new thermostat to get the temp. up to normal, well worth doing as it will be a little more economical if it is hotter running.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Funny that one - the MkII Focus hire car I had last week suffered similar issues. Passenger side demisted, but the driver's side wasn't working.

Reply to
SteveH

[snip]

I didn't know the heater element was in two halves, I'll have a look at these connectors tomorrow.

Sound idea, I'll replace the thermostat within the next couple of days and see how it performs.

Many thanks,

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

I've just learnt the element is in two halves, certainly explains now why one half can fail.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

Just to update my post, The screen heater was an earth wire that had become detached from the o/s inner wing. I replaced the thermostat today and discovered that the old one was indeed stuck open.

Problem now solved ;)

Regards,

Stephen.

Reply to