205 GTi Head Gasket? Anything I should look out for?

Going on Saturday to look at a 205GTi hopefully. Think its got roughly 100K and the engine is knackered, the chap says its the head gasket. The engine is also out of the car, is it a simple fix? Do you guys think, if I buy it, I should also strip the rest of the engine down to be on the safe side? Check the bearings etc? Been thinking about it, not to sure though.

Cheers

Ben

Reply to
Benje

Do the head gasket first - shouldn't really be anything else wrong with a 205 lump at 100k miles, IMHO.

If it's more knackered than that, then find a decent second hand lump for it.

Reply to
SteveH

Bear in mind that these are tricky and expensive to rebuild. I wouldn't be interested if it were me, since there are loads out there in working order

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Taking the engine out to fix the head gaskets a bit wierd, unless it's very cheap & immaculate it's probably not worth it. & if you're interested try & make sure it's the head gasket & not the cylinder liner seals

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Plenty of these type perhaps not the GTI going through the auctions at up to 100k at next to nothing why buy one that is already a problem. I wouldn't touch it unless he is giving you the car for nothing.

Reply to
David Cawkwell

Get the valve guides/ seals done while the head is off. Also recommend a new cambelt tensioner bearing & waterpump.

Reply to
Acedrew