306 HDI Intermittently not starting.

I have a 1999 306 HDI which has always started on the button until the last few weeks.

Now on a number of occasions it is a pig to start, needing cranking for 5 or

6 bursts of 10-15 seconds before it will catch.

On all but one of such occasions it then ran flawlessly, on one of them it was hesitant for 1-2 seconds after starting up.

The rest of the time it is still fine to start.

When it won't start, the engine turns over nice and quickly.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should be looking out for?

Thanks

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Jennings

fuel filter? got warter in it?

Reply to
dojj

Glow plugs?

Reply to
SteveH

If you get a load of white smoke & a brief period of rough running that's the most likely cause (if you don't t's the cheapest thing to fix!)

Reply to
DuncanWood

Have you got any MIL lamp flashing or remaining lit, or not coming on initially with the key? There have been main relay issues periodically with this engine.

If no MIL lamp irregularitys, then check the connector on the Rail pressure transducer-ensure the conductors are clean and oil free. This is the next most likely cause.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

The Hdi, along with nearly all DI common rail engines don't use the glow plugs at all unless the temperature is very low- in the case of the HDI, the threshold is 4degrees.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I will look out for the lights the next time it fails to start., they and it are both behaving at the moment.

Is the connector on the Rail pressure transducer fairly obvious when the acoustic cover is removed from the engine?

I ask because there isn't a workshop manual available for the 306 HDI. (unless someone knows better?)

Thanks

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Jennings

Yes, toward the end of the rail on most varients of the HDi, on the pressure pump on others (usually 206 engines for some reason)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.