306/ZX/1.9 diesel are they the same? will a turbo fit on a non-turbo

i just blown my 306 xrtd and just brought a brought a cheap zx 1.9d i was woundering if i could fit my garret turbo from the 306 to my zx. would this be possible and would it give as much enjoymet as my 306?

also is alot of the runnig gear the same on the two cars?

Reply to
D-Turbo

Nope. Too much different from fuelling to a high pressure oil feed for the turbo.

Reply to
Conor

The engines are essentially the same, but the fuelling system and probably compression ratio are completely different between turbo and non-turbo motors. You might be able to swap some of the bits over to turbo the ZX engine, but it really depends what bits have gone wrong on the engine in the 306.

An engine from a ZX td will drop in with much less complication as ZXs and 306s are basically the same car. Engines/gearboxes and front suspension components will be pretty interchangable.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

No you can't/shouldn't

1) The TD diesel pump has a link to the turbo, otherwise you get insufficient fuelling when on boost. So you'd have to replace the diesel pump as well - IIRC this is beyond the average amateur.

2) The TD lump is stronger and has a lower compression ratio compared to the NA, IIRC also the TD lump has oil jets to cool the underside of the pistons.

3) - the least of your worries - the glow plugs probably won't last 5 mins and you'll have to fit TD compatible ones.

4) You'll have to plumb in the intercooler, but it will probably be a waste of time, as your NA diesel pump won't be able to push in more diesel to take advantage of the increased air charge.

5) Why increase your insurance bill running a cobbled together modified car, when you could just go out and buy a TD straight off.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon