306D starting problem

My P reg. 306 D went through another MOT today ( it had to have a bit of fiddling with the brakes and a bulb or two) I had a problem with it not starting yesterday though, the engine was quite warm and it was cranking over but not firing. I measured battery voltage at 11.9V so I charged it up and also tightened up the allen bolts on top on the fuel filter housing and the drain plug too since I thought these might be letting air into the fuel system. Anyway it started fine today,so hopefully another year of cheap motoring, it's on 190k now !TBH I would rather change the car for somthing better, I wander if people still look out for cheap diesel cars or are there plenty about these days ? Is it worth trying to sell it ? The interior is rather dirty and there is a prang on the front bumper.

Simon

Reply to
mr p

Its a =A3300 banger.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Sounds like the fuel cut off solenoid sticking. My Citroen ZX did exactly the same. IIRC a new solenoid was about £9 delivered and took me 1/2 hour to fit

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

thanks, my thoughts too. My Dad suggested clouting it with a hammer, but I am not sure where it is exactly with out consulting the Haynes. Perhaps the Volts were too low to activate it, so will see what happens.

Reply to
mr p

It's not the starter solenoid, it's the fuel cut of solenoid. It's part of the diesel pump, usually *in* the front of the diesel pump and will have a wire going to it. You unscrew it from the pump, remove the plunger bit and refit a new one.

Check the solenoid first, it's cheaper than a new battery. That's the mistake I made - we found that when it refused to start, jumping it from another battery started it. So I thought the battery was knackered, replaced it with a new one and the problem stayed. I found that pouring water over the solenoid when the engine was hot started it instantly again.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

That sounds like a granada I had once, the voltage drop through the loom for the starter circuit meant that the solenoid on the starter didn't slam in hard enough (more volts from a jump start would make it go) , a standard relay added to the circuit completely cured it for the rest of its days.

Reply to
Mrcheerful