420GSI electrical problem and motorway cut-out

Bought a Rover 420GSI off eBay, driving home up the M1 around 100 miles done, speedo, rev counter and radio started going beserk, cutting out, ABS light started flashing and fan stopped, car was misfiring then cut out in middle lane. Breakdown man reckons alternator/battery - tested both, said alternator wasn't feeding the battery, so I'm guessing battery will be ok. Started first time with his booster box but ended up being brought home rather embarrasingly on the back of his low loader. I've contacted the seller who is mortified and has offered =A3100 refund or to take the car back but in general I'm happy with the car so would prefer to keep it. Now getting prices of =A3150 for an alternator for an =A3800 car - any second opinions/advice/recommendations. I can wield an amateur spanner, is this doable by me or one for my mender. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Van man

If it is the one with the Rover unit in and not the Honda one, the=20 wiring loom goes over the top of the engine on the drivers side and=20 down the front past the thermostat housing. There's a thin wire in=20 there that can get broken, roughly where it goes over the corner of the=20 cam cover, and that causes the same fault as if the alternator was=20 faulty, i.e no charging.

--=20 Conor

"I have as much authority as the pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it" - George Carlin

Reply to
Conor

Thanks Conor I'll take a look