£5000! - cost of putting petrol in a diesel BMW?

A world of difference.

If you've been driving petrol cars for years it's learned behaviour to fill from the petrol nozzle at the pump.

Of course, you know this and are simply being provocative.

Reply to
deadmail

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

AIUI, rather than there being a fuel supply rail to all cylinders pressurised to ludicrously high pressure - as in your common-or-garden rail

- with individual injectors then opened at the correct moment, PD has a low-pressure supply to all injectors, with an individual high-pressure pump built into each one.

Reply to
Adrian

I haven't seen a good site, they're just a tiny version of an electronically controlled unit injector, no pie work so higher injection pressures without any nasty reflected pressure waves etc.

Reply to
DuncanWood

This lot from Bosch should keep you amused for a bit.

?c=2&d=1
?c=2&d=1
More information is probably available at Delphi and Marreli and from Japanese manufacturers.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

You may think it's excusable to be half asleep when refueling and by inference half asleep when drivnng. I'd hope most drivers weren't so incompotent.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Your inference, not mine.

People can be as asleep as they like when refueling, when driving it's a completely different matter.

Reply to
deadmail

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Oooh, I was wondering!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Huw" contains these words:

This seems a bit of a non sequitur...

Instead of having to build up pressure before each individual injection, the fuel is stored in an accumulator and kept under constant pressure. So the engine is more dynamic than ever before, with no loss of power.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Designed by engineers, Written by marketing muppets - then, to add insult to injury - translated.

Reply to
Adrian

( snipped-for-privacy@burnt.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

How likely is it that the pull up, fall asleep, fill up, wake up, drive off?

In the real world, they're going to be in a similar state of mind for both tasks.

Reply to
Adrian

Not at all. In the real world people will pay as much (or as little) attention to a task as they believe it merits. If someone's filling a company car they (probably) will pay limited attention to the price of the fuel or the overall bill. However they would pay more attention to the driving.

I'm happy enough with my record- I've not had (or caused..) a car accident in about 200k miles of driving and in this time I've once put petrol in a diesel. I don't believe the fact I've put petrol in a diesel indicates my driving is sub-standard. It would indicate I didn't really think too much about what I was doing at the forecourt because I was allowing other things to dominate my thinking.

Reply to
deadmail

Yup, BTDT... although I realised what I was doing, just before I squeezed the pump trigger, thankfully.

In my defense, your 'onour, I do tend to have at least one petrol and one diesel kicking about at any one time, and sometimes one goes off on a tangent as they stop for fuel... and if one has been driving a diesel for most of the week, it's an easy mistake to make.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Perhaps you get your passenger to fill up while you have a slash/coffee (which are indistinguishable in most motorway service areas).

Reply to
Guy King

I stop and think at least twice every time I fill up because on 50% of the days of the year I'm driving a diesel van and the other 50% a petrol car. I wonder who and how they drain a tank full of fuel on a forcourt.

Reply to
Dartos

So is stuffing a car into a bend in the ice and tree-ing the poor thing. Insurers still pay out for fully comp though.

Reply to
Chris Street

Hi Peter

Doesn't this system have a filter following the pump, so preventing anything going further than the arse end of the pump??

Reply to
Steve Sweet

Hmm I've never filled the diesel with petrol, but I do have to admit to having borrowed the housemates car & got a gallon of diesel into the

1.6CVH before I remembered.
Reply to
DuncanWood

: On 17 Oct 2004 14:47:03 GMT, Ian Johnston wrote: : : > On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:03:18 UTC, " Tim \(Remove NOSPAM." : > wrote: : > : >: He luckily was able to claim on his insurance, only paying the excess on : >: which cost the insurance company £2600. : > : > How on earth can you claim on insurance for something like this? It's : > just sheer stupidity. : : So is stuffing a car into a bend in the ice and tree-ing the poor thing. : Insurers still pay out for fully comp though.

Fair enough. Just surprises me that they cover a deliberate and non-driving act. Do they cover stuff ups during maintenance: if I drop a nut through a sparking plug hole, will they pay for the engine to be stripped to get it out?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

That'll be marketting , that will.

Reply to
DuncanWood

The message from DuncanWood contains these words:

Duncan - I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but whenever you reply to a post your newsreaders starts a new thread with loads of UTF code strings in the subject - which some readers - like mine - don't interpret.

Reply to
Guy King