Renault Clio questions (clutch and dashboard lights!)

Dear all,

I drive an S reg Renault Clio 1.9 Diesel with 51k miles on the clock. I recently stumbled upon a very steep hill, with which I had some trouble getting over. In fact I had to accelerate on a flat surface in order to "throw" the car over it. But before that, I tried to get over it slowly. This caused me to rev the engine fairly hard and "slip" the clutch without the car actually moving forward. The engine didn't seem to be powerful enough for it. After a few seconds I felt the clutch burning, so I thought hmm.. not a good sign. Just wondering whether I've done any real damage to it? I drove around for a few miles after the incident and it seems OK, so I guess no harm done. Fingers crossed. If I did cause some damage, how much would it be to replace it? Another question: one of the bulbs on the speedometer has gone poof, so it looks a bit weird. I want to replace it but wouldn't know where to start. It all seems to be welded in! How do I get behind the speedometer? Do I have to remove the whole dashboard? Is there a diagram somewhere showing how to do this? :)

Appreciate any answers thrown towards my way!

Regards,

Alex.

Reply to
Alex James

After a few seconds I felt the clutch

Every time you slip the clutch you wear it out a little. If you slip it a lot you wear it out a lot. If there is plenty left when you give it some real stick then it'll put up with it maybe, but many miles of wear will have gone out of it. So you probably won't notice anything for quite some time. Someone else might be able to tell you the cost of a replacement, but I'd leave it until it proves necessary.

Re the bulb question, I don't know the answer.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham