80 2.0 16V sounds like a diesel

Can anyone help me here...

I have an 80 16V 2.0 that has done 130k-ish miles and quite frankly sounds like a diesel. Not only when it starts (I know about hydraulic tappets needing to get up to pressure etc), but all the time.

Is it fixable with an oil/filter change? Does it sounds like it needs new tappets? Or is the whole thing about to go up in smoke?

Timing belt needs changing (and is about to be done). Chain need changing too maybe?

Reply to
nealdc

Nope.

Could be the oil pump, could be the bottom end bearings are on their last legs.

Reply to
Conor

My Golf 16V (1.8, similar engine) kept breaking downpipes (most likely was due to knackered engine mounts). It was ridiculously loud and people did wonder if it was a diesel. Tappets tend to click away but not horribly.

Big ends tend to get a lot noisier with revs to the point where you wonder if the engine's about to fly to bits. I'd be tempted to get the sump off, have a look at the oil pump and big ends (both checkable) and see if the engine's in good nick before you mess about servicing it.

Reply to
Doki