93 Rover 218SD (charging) wiring diagram (update).

Hi All,

I just thought I'd let you know that the replacement repacement alternator turned up today as promised and 1/2 hr later the old Rover was back online (wahoo!). ;-)

Question though ... I was trying to work out if the slight (and I mean very slight) diesel leak I was experiencing from the fuel pump (that sits over the alternator and ~25cm away) coincided with the first alternator failing ...?

If it did, would a very small quantity of diesel dripping on the alternator be enough to upset it? If so then might that explain why the replacement ran for two days (was taken off for testing, declared nff) put back on again then ran for another month before failing again?

They are due to collect the first replacement next week so I have time to take the end cover / regulator off, if there is anything could seen / tested (just out of interest).

The diesel leak seems to have fixed itself but just in case I'm going to make a cover to go over the top of the alternator.

Anyway, thank's to those who offered thoughts and advice.

All the best ..

T i m

(with fingers still crossed).

Reply to
T i m

If you soak the brushes in diesel they stop working.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Soak? And what happens then Duncan .. the carbon stops conducting or the diesel forms an insulator tween brush and rotor .. or what? (genuine questions)

I was talking to a mate earlier who has played with many diesels (he builds specials etc) and has seen plenty of alternators 'soaked' in diesel with no problems? Just lucky maybe?

Like I said, the very tiny leak seems to have stopped and I intend to put a cover over the top of the alternator, just_in_case.

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. It was only last night did the potential link between the timing of the leak and the alternator(s) failing come to mind.

Reply to
T i m

if you get enough on the brushes they stick.

It's probably coincidence. Sadly the early fail rate of recon/repaired alternators is quite high.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ah. FWIW I've just popped the end cover and brush holder / reg off the 'old' one and found what I can best describe as a small amount (about the size of a small pea in total) copperised material (material as in fluff) caught up against the brushes. Upon closer inspection I found what looks like a small blob of solder in amongst this coppery 'stuff'? The brushes were both dry and fee moving. Also, and remember this has only been off the car a few hours, there was no sign (sight or smell) of diesel so maybe the alternator was less affected by the leak than I thought.

I think you may be right .. but the last one ran for a couple of days (first time round) so I'm not counting any chickens yet!

Ah. Well, the supplier didn't seem to kick up any fuss so they must have been there before ...

Oh well, time will tell.

Thanks again .. ;-)

T i m

Reply to