95 Escort light stalk testing

Hi...

I have been helping somebody here at work with a 95 Escort who has the old problem with sidelights, tail-lights and dash lights not lighting up (although the headlights do) when the light switch on the stalk is switched on. I said that if they got hold of a new stalk from a scrappy etc then I'd fit it. They did, and I have, but the side, tail and dash lights still don't work! Rather than tell her to keep buying one until we get a good one, does anybody know which pins in the left- hand (black) wiring connector I can bridge to test the sidelight circuits? If I can get the sidelights to come on that way then we know the wiring and fusebox is ok, and we can be fairly sure that the stalk she's been sold is a dud. She hasn't got a Haynes manual or I would have tried to work it out myself from the wiring diagram.

TIA...Nick.

Reply to
nick

It'll be far easier to just figure out what wires the switch is putting power out on. The light switch part will have a permanent battery feed, with the indicator having an ignition feed.

IIRC, all the light wires are black with various colour traces (indicator wires were totally different colours). By probing the various wires with a test lamp/voltmeter, you'll be able to see if power is coming out with the side light switch on.

Reply to
moray

Helpfully, Mr Haynes divides the wiring diagrams into pre-'95 and post-'95...

Pre-'95, the battery feed is red, the outgoing is red/black.

Post '95, the battery feed is red, the outgoing is grey.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Sorted! Thanks for that timely response Chris. Bridging the red and the red/black brings on the sidelights etc, so it looks like the scrappy sold her a dodgy stalk. She's ordered another one off the Internet with a three-month warranty for delivery tomorrow, so hopefully that one will be ok.

...Nick.

Reply to
nick

they are only about 35 quid for a new one, it is not worth messing about with second-hand bits that are known to be problematic

Reply to
Mrcheerful