'97 Vectra - removing radio

Hiya.

Having flogged my old Rover, I've not got a not-so-old Vectra due to arrive tomorrow.

I'll need to fit my Panasonic MP3/WMA/CDRW player to it and bin the existing radio/cassette player it comes with.

Do you have any tips on removing the existing one and will an R-Reg '97 Vectra have the standard socket for the wiring?

Thanks for any tips you can give,

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Existing radio is easy to get out if you have a 2mm allen key for removing the four grub screws that blank off the removal key holes. Then get hold of a pair of radio removal clips from Halfrauds or similar - they look like a piece of wire fromed into a 'U' shape.

The connector on the loom is a standard ISO connector, so the new radio should include an adaptor loom or even have the right socket on the back, so it should be a simple plug-in job.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

If it's anything like the Phillips unit on my old Rover (cough, Metro), once the covers are out the way, 4 of those cotton wool bud plastic sticks (with the cotton removed) will do fine, that's how I took mine out. Alternately, another time I took it out I used 2, and the arms off a pair of cheap sunglasses I'd sat on.

Reply to
Stuffed

Thanks for your help. It fit in my rover with the big mutli-pinned connector it came with, hopefully the Vectra will be the same.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

When I took my Panasonic out of my Rover I used two butter knives and a good tug to remove it.

Amusingly, one of my neighbours came up to my car as she thought that someone sticking knives into the dashboard and yanking out a radio looked more than slightly dodgy. I thanked her for her attention but qualified it that it's my radio and I'll steal it if I want to.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

or shaped coat-hanger wire seems to work.

Reply to
adder

I took the old radio out and put my MP3 player in, but it doesn't work...

The connector fits okay, but there just isn't any power going to it. I connected the old one and it worked again, then reconnected my MP3 player and nada.

I've booked it in for a tinker with "Enigma" a local place that install stereos tomorrow midday.

Not sure what's wrong with it. The MP3 player has a 15A fuse on the back, the old radio has a 5A fuse on it.

Hmm.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I think the problem is that the Vx connector has the position of the permanent live and ignition 12V feeds reversed. Try the radio with the ignition on. If it now works, there is your problem. There are sometimes bullet connectors in line with the ISO connector before the radio to allow for this problem. Wires are usually coloured red and yellow.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Thanks. I'll try it and report back. I didn't try it with the ignition on.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Are you the Nick Mooney I went to school with in Otford?

Reply to
Guy King

No, I'm afraid not.

I am, however, the Nick Mooney with a 97 Vectra that needs four sets of brake discs and four sets of brake pads and two new tyres.

--Nick

Reply to
Nick

The message from Nick contains these words:

Ah well. I wonder how many there are out there!

As for brake parts...

Dirt cheap.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks, but I wouldn't know where to start!

My current garage bill:

Brake Pad Set (1) £67.50 Brake Disc (Double Pack) (1) £99.00

This is from National Tyres & Autocare and labour etc is included in that price.

I hadn't noticed it before, but I only appear to have been billed for

1 Brake Pad Set. Is a Brake Pad Set two brake pads (one for each side?) or have bey billed me incorrectly?

I assume I'm getting TWO lots of brake discs/pads (one for each side!)

They say they're having to order the bits and bobs for the rear brakes.

I remember them saying when I phoned that I had "uneven wear" on the brakes. Any idea what could be the chief cause of this?

It needed 2 new (rear) tyres which have also been fitted and the wheels aligned (not sure if this could cause uneven wear?) and the shocks seem in great condition (far better compared my old car!)

Thanks for any pointers.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick