Insurance - it pays to shop around

Just got a renewal notice from my insurance co that seemed a bit high so I phoned around. I got a quote through another agent £100 cheaper....from the same insurers!

Can you beat that?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

On my "posh" car insurance I did the phone around bit last year and got the cheapest deal going - £468 for a 28 year old with 10 years NCD. This year I phone around and from another insurer who were pisstake last year get £320 and that's including adding my wife as a learner driver.

£140 off for upping the insurance risk.

Of course there's always the fact I was paying £520 a few years ago for a TD5 Disco and for a 200TDi today I'm paying £173.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

How do you do that. Im still paying stooopid prices for my carinsurance 96 Disco 300 Tdi. The same figure I was paying as a boy racer 15 years ago !!!

Dave :)

Reply to
Dave H

I just phoned around a lot. That price is from Adrian Flux.

Just phone all the insurers in the back of the comics and ask for a quote.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

What REALLY brasses me off is that I can't claim any no claims discount on my recently acquired second car (L/R). It was ME who earned the NCD, not the car - and I can't drive both of them at once, so where's the sense in the same insurance company denying me the NCD? I know they all apply this principle, but why?

Reply to
Stuart Nuttall

Phil, is this worth building into the a.f.l FAQ?

Reply to
Mother

Yep!, £15.84 for a year (had to pay the minimum £10 admin fee for cover till end of June though) Because it's added to an existing classic car policy.

Reply to
heckflosse

A list of names and numbers of the useful insurers would be mighty useful. you can just work through them all one at a time then!

Marking those that wont deal with under 25's would also be good. I got so sick of the last question being your D.O.B. Its the first thing i ask em now! (strangely footman James only deal with under-25's if its a military vehicle!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Reply to
Steve

£15.84 ? whose that from? and for what?

richard

Reply to
Richard
£15.84 from Footman James, limited 3,000 mileage, agreed valuation, fully comp. Even get break down cover. I presume it's only that cheap because it's an additional vehicle to an existing policy. I'm paying £97 on my '61 Mercedes 220SEb coupe for the same cover. If I only insured the Landy I would expect it to be only slightly less than the Merc.

Reply to
heckflosse

I was with the AA paying £520 for my 1995 Discovery 300Tdi, just got a new TD5 and they wanted £730. I thought ok, then got a call a couple of days latter to say because mine had the option of auto transmission fitted the premium would now be £1400!!! Needless to say I shopped around and went with Landrover at £625.

Reply to
Martin Coombs

In message , Derry Argue writes

Not with the same insurer, but...

P reg Ford Mondeo 2litre. I'm s/e in a low risk occupation, wife is a civil servant. Both require business use, unlimited mileage (18K a year). Only catch is wife has to use an insurer on the government "green list" of companies that won't try and sue the Crown to recover payments made due to accidents while wife is driving car for work. Many years no-claims. Inner city, off road parking.

Previous insurer (East Anglian company into making people happy) - last year £600ish fully comp. Quote for this year £948. Alternative suggested by broker (same policy, green list etc.) £368.

Reply to
Tim Willets

could try

they check up to 50 companies at the same time. stevie...

Reply to
Stevie

still a bargain for insurance for 2 cars

Reply to
Richard

Brand new £27k 110 CSW as seen in link below. Fully comp £352 per year NFU.

Brand new Caravan £15k same cost insurance... Bearing in mind the distance each travels in comparison to the other, is that odd or what?

Reply to
Tony Boom

In message , Tony Boom writes

My parents always found caravan insurance a bit on the steep side compared to value/mileage, but what can be a minor scrape for a car can pretty much demolish a caravan - they're (usually) a very light chassis with a wood framed body. Add to that how few people seem to service the mechanical components, they're pretty easy to steal and fires are a possibility (rare but usually a write-off afterwards) and I can imagine why they are regarded as a relatively high risk by some insurers.

Reply to
Tim Willets

In message , Stevie writes

Been using Footman James for years - only broker I could find who was reasonably local and could source sensible premiums for the modified Minis we were driving at the time.

Reply to
Tim Willets