air intake components

Hi,

I had to remove various air ducts to gain access to look for the vacuum leak on my c3 diesel (see other thread). Can I ask two things?

One duct contained the air mass sensor. When I took the car to the garage, they told me they had cleaned the air mass sensor and doing this "usually clears things up". Is that right or was it an excuse?

Should the sensor be cleaned every x months/ x thousand miles and if so with what? I haven't seen any mention of cleaning it in the Haynes book.

There is a section of tube that runs from the air filter box and a small (an inch?) branch goes into the engine and a much larger (2 inches?) duct runs to the turbo charger.

The bit between the engine and turbo charger has some oil inside. Is this to be expected? I would have expected these ducts to carry air only and since they are blowing, ie under positive pressure, I wouldn't have expected oil to be blown out into it.

Do I need to be worried or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Yes it is. On my Mondeo, its a thermistor. It gets covered with dust and gives false readings. Cleaning is merely a case of gently wiping it with a cotton bud. Should be done every few years.

Yes.

I would have expected these ducts to carry air

You have.

Reply to
Conor

the turbo seals tend to leak a bit and oil on the sides of the pipe after the turbo is quite common.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Fred was thinking very hard :

Often a fine heated wire, who's resistance varies due to the cooling effect of the air flow. It can become covered in carbon, which tends to insulate it from the airflow and then gives false readings.

I believe carb cleaner is the stuff to use, sprayed on so the fine wire is not damaged and it should be done every few years. Some garages might be inclined to just replace it as that is more profitable option.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks.

Reply to