Outside Air Intake: Where?

I have a chipmunk or something bringing hickory nuts into my heat ducts and they're ending up in the fan. Where is the opening located that it is entering. I shined a light up the duct with outside air open when i had the fan dropped and I still cant locate it. Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis ===========

Reply to
Remove XX's

Sorry, didn't mention it's a 1997 Corolla.

Dennis ============

Reply to
Remove XX's

Reply to
Don't Taze Me, Bro!

Well I dont see anywhere a hickory nut would fit in those slots you're talking about. It's crawling in somewhere.

Dennis ==========

Reply to
Remove XX's

I had the same problem and solved it on two Corollas. Don't Taze Me, Bro! is correct.

Remove the plastic trim between the windshield and the firewall on the passenger side. You will see a couple of intake holes on the passenger side in the firewall.

That is where small animals (mice) can get into the HVAC system and create nests and defecate on the top of the cabin air filter and ducts. Not a pretty sight or smell.

I solved it by cutting pieces of stainless steel mesh (3/8" square hole) a bit larger and the same shape of the air openings (there were two), and using silicone sealer to adhere them to the edges of the openings.

Problem solved 100%.

It's a tight area to work in so take your time.

The only other solution without using the mesh is to push the recirculate air button on the control panel so as to put in place the plastic air dam to close off the outside air openings (it will block the openings to the fan motor). But I could never remember to do it all the time.

I would hope that Toyota would have recognized this issue as a problem for owners that live in rural areas and install a factory fix, but nothing yet.

Reply to
user