Airfilters

I've been in the habit of changing airfilters every time I do an oil change on a car eg. 6000 miles or so. However I've just noticed that the Haynes BoL for the Xantia diesel (1996) recommends a 36K air filter change. Given how black mine gets trogging up and down the M5 what do people recommend?

-- Malc

Don't be humble. You're not that great.

Reply to
Malc

Exactly what you are doing, inspect it and change it when it looks like it needs it. If you read any manufacturers manualsd it will usually say something like 'change every xxxxx miles, or sooner in harsher conditions'.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Plus, they're so cheap anyway, you may as well change 'em if in any doubt as it worsens your fuel consumption and performance :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Or see if you can get a K&N replacement filter (as opposed to a K&N pancake type filter).

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

The main reason I ask is that doing 20k miles plus is I need to do 4 services a year. So a little saving here and there can make a difference. How much are the K & N filters then and I presume they're washable or summat?

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

The K&N is about half as much again as a normal filter, but can last to

50,000 miles before cleaning, and yes it's washable.
Reply to
Andy Hewitt