Alcohol tester

No, it's not, it's in the body of your post.

No, it's not, because the pikey server you're using is putting a second sig in there, which negates the first sig sep for all known newsreaders.

See above.

Reply to
SteveH

The charter says this:

'Articles of a direct and commercial nature, which includes postings offering commercial products or services, or those containing self-promotion material, are also UNWELCOME.'

I'd read that as saying that you can't post commercial spam, even if it's in the sig, as there is no exclusion for sig advertising, which has to be explicitly allowed.

Reply to
SteveH

Paul -

You've been told about the problem, and you've given half a solution - move to a decent news server. In the meanwhile it would be polite to turn off your sig - surely just a matter of a couple of seconds work?

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Since it's in the sig, it's not considered spam.

Paul Cummins

Sorry, I disagree. Report me to my newsmaster.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

& where does that say that?
Reply to
Duncan Wood

ok. Firstly, it is not "work of moments" to change news servers. There is a reason why my service is going through Teranews, and I am in the process of reinstating my gradwell feeds. This should be complete later today.

Secondly, this is the only group, and you four are the only people, ON THE WHOLE OF USENET, complaining about my sigfile.

Thirdly, it IS the software at fault. It is looking up the file to the sig-sep, ad finding the last one when it should be looking down and finding the first.

I am producing an RFC compliant post. Your software is not complying with RFC. This is not my issue.

No, I will not switch off my sig for the convenience of four people with broken newsreaders.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

It's not the newsreaders that are broken, it's your posting from a server that adds it's own sig that's causing the issues.

As it stands, you're posting spam, which I'm sure is against the T&Cs of your affiliations.

Reply to
SteveH

In message , Paul Cummins writes

Make that five (and I don't think my software is broken or non-compliant).

Until you are able to find a better solution, you could consider shortening your signature to 'Paul Cummins'. We would still see two signatures on your posts but the annoying stuff would not be there.

Reply to
Peter

Perhaps we're the only four people ON THE WHOLE OF USENET still reading your posts?

Reply to
David Taylor

Six.

Reply to
PC Paul

Well, you aren't the only ones still replying...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

I've fired off reports to the affiliate companies.

They usually take a dim view of this kind of thing.

Reply to
SteveH

I never claimed it was a work of moments to change news servers. I was suggesting it would be a couple of seconds to turn your sig off - you can turn it back on again when you're on a more sensible news server. I believe I was very clear about this - why have you chosen to interpret what I'm saying incorrectly?

Your sig is at least 10 lines long if you start from the first sig-sep. I believe convention states 4 lines, which you would have were it not for your dodgy news server.

So what's wrong with dropping the broken sig until you make the change to another server?

clive

Reply to
Clive George

As the links are in the Sig, I am complying with their terms.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

My sig is 4 lines.

The news server is at fault.

Why not whinge to them. I'm not changing things for your convenience.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

No it isn't, it's 10 lines.

Yes, and it's your choice of news server - you're not forced to use it by any means. You don't have to use it, but if you do you should adjust your behaviour to accomodate it's foibles.

Here's the thing : You're posting using a non-confirming sig. It's entirely your fault. You've got at least one way to get round the problem very easily, but are refusing to do so.

Why is this? Why will you not take steps to prevent your invalid posts appearing? It's not "my convenience" - if you're going to go to the trouble of quoting RFCs etc, and trying to keep to standards, it's up to you to ensure your behaviour is up to these standards. Which it currently isn't.

clive

(FWIW I do know most of the normal answer to the above (FFOTA), but I'm waiting to see if you can actually come up with something new).

Reply to
Clive George

My tuppenceworth...

Your sig raises no negative emotion in me.

Fuck me people, life is too short.

Reply to
R D S

TBH it's not the sig that's the problem, it's the refusal to accept that there's a problem and do something about it which is.

Paul Cummins is sufficiently concerned about standards on Usenet to take part in the management discussions, issue his own cancel messages (even if he does occasionally screw up there), etc, so expecting him to stick to the standards he espouses is entirely reasonable.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

What I find ironic in this whole thread is that Paul has designated himself a 'netkop' elsewhere and has been killing other people's posts beacuse he viewed them as 'spam'.

Mind you, rumour is that he's doing it as a childish attempt to censor stuff he doesn't like.

Reply to
SteveH