tuning ECO to run on alcohol

I'm looking for info on how to tune my car's computer so I can use

100% alcohol as fuel ... anyone got any pointers, suggestions where to ask, ideas ... please

the plan is to distill my own fuel at home (here in the US you can get a free license to distill up to 10,000 gals per year) ... cost estimate is under 25 cents/gal ... beats petro-gas!

I've been told that most US auto manufaturers still sell (but don't advertise in California!) cars that can use alcohol fuel (one pleasant legacy of the Carter years) but i don't want to buy a new car ... have a '97 Volvo 850 T5 and '93 Dodge Caravan 3.3L, so hoping to get info for both those

also, need info on OBD II pinouts / connectors for laptops / PDAs ... suggestions?

thanks in advance alan

Reply to
Alan

Build and program your own ECU from a kit. Open software, excellent Yahoo groups support.

Some info on alcohol (large files)

Boris Mohar

There seems to be a whole underground of OBD II hobbyists; I bet a Google search would turn up lots of information.

Yup, both ethanol and methanol have about half the specific energy content of gasoline.

Right. And flexible-fuel vehicles from the factory already have this done. And they have all their fuel lines and components made from materials that won't be attacked by alcohol. And, as I recall, the Ford Taurus FFV used synthetic oil exclusively, as that was more resistant to the solvent effects of alcohol.

Reply to
Stephen H. Westin

For info on alternative fuels.

Rich