Alloy Wheel Removal ?

Evening,

Had a puncture last week, and had a bit of a mare getting the wheel off. Seems the alloy was 'sticking' to the hub, and a BFO rubber hammer was required to shift it.

Should copperslip or similar be used between the hub/wheel ?

Doesn't look like my local tyre place uses it - as I just found out :-?

Lucky the hammer was in the car, and I wasn't stuck on thr hard shoulder.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

my local tyre place used copperslip behind my saxo vts alloys and it stopped them sticking to the hubs :)

Reply to
Rob Kirk

it is a regular part of a good service to clean the (rusty) hub and paint with copper grease. But I only know two garages that do so!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It helps, but some wheel hub combos are just a bitch.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Slacken the wheel nuts *slightly* then roll the car *slightly*. Much more effective for freeing stuck alloys, plus you don't need to carry a BFO hammer around with you.

Reply to
Delgardo

Undo the bolts and rive round the block quickly, fee's it every time.

There are two trains of thought on using copperslip on wheels, cos some people think that if you get a big blob it will stop the wheel from tourqing up properly and could lead to other problems, I think this is probably crap...

Don't forget to wire brush it first, if they are alloy, they may not like copperslip, try Vaseline, either way only use a very very thin coating.

PS:- Only joking about driving round block :) - I must say this precautionary note, cos some people on here might be American...

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

The message from "Nik&Andy" contains these words:

Though loosening them a turn and driving gently round in a circle would do just as well.

Reply to
Guy King

Don't see how. Alloys are always located by a flange, so all the nuts are doing is stopping any rotation. There's some argument about greasing the threads themselves, but I always have and always will do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To support that view, there's always the argument that dry, possibly lightly rusted threads and seatings could result in wheelnuts/bolts, not being tightened enough. I know which I prefer. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I've put copper grease on wheel nuts ever since I discovered the stuff. Never had one come loose and never had trouble getting 'em off.

Reply to
Guy King

Yup. It's not a decent lubricant anyway. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I should use KY instead?

Reply to
Guy King

That's water based I think, won't that cause more rust?

Andy

;)

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Although if you've got a flat tyre it's not the best of ideas.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I used smear just a trace of Vaseline around the hole - or on the bit of the hub that sticks out - NOT on the flat mating surface between the back of the wheel and the hub. This worked fine, just cleaned it off and smeared a bit more on each year.

Reply to
R. Murphy

The message from "R. Murphy" contains these words:

Not liberally?

Reply to
Guy King