Slow leak from alloy wheel - Mini

Since I bought my Mini, the offside front wheel has had a slow leak. It's not a puncture. I had the tyre removed and refitted, which didn't improve things, so had it replaced and it was OK for a while after that, but now it's started running flat again.

The tyres are run-flat tyres.

Could I use one of those puncture repair cans that squirts stuff into the tyre via the valve, a bit like Radweld for tyres? Would it work?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It's not intended for long-term use, so no.

get the valve checked, the rim re-sealed, or if all else fails, wheels can become porous.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

How slow a leak? If it's less than a couple of psi per week, perhaps it's best just to keep topping it up? (Bear in mind that at this time of year, pressures might all be down a pound or two each week simply due to the ambient dropping.)

If more than that, take the wheel off, inflate it to 50psi or so, and get it in water. Kid's paddling pool, pond, whatever you can come up with. You should then be able to see any leak.

OTOH, it could just be someone from u.c.h. letting it down... ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Depends on the cause of the problem.

Check the rims carefully for kerb damage first. Jack up that corner, set up a pointer next to both inside and outside rims and slowly rotate the wheel. Sometimes long shallow dents are not easily visible at a casual glance. I had one such on the inside rim of a front wheel on my Focus when I first bought it and the tyre was down to 15 psi when I found the problem.

You certainly wouldn't want to try and use Tyreweld for a problem like that which could fail catastrophically at any time.

If the rims are ok then it could be a crack which you definitely want to find and replace the wheel, or porosity but that's rare or maybe just the valve. Dunk it in water if all else fails but I suspect it'll be a rim.

Reply to
Dave Baker

En el artículo , Chris Whelan escribió:

It was very slow initially - topping up now and then was no prob, but it has actually got worse the last couple of days (now takes two or three days to go almost completely flat). Maybe I'd better take a harder look for a puncture.

True. I pumped them all up to 35 psi a few weeks ago in the warmer weather and on checking this week the non-leaking ones had dropped to

There's a good tyre place near here run by a couple of Polish lads. I'll pop in with it.

ugh, the trolls certainly are out and about right now, aren't they? When do the schools go back?

Cheers for the help (and to the other Chris too) :-)

M.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

update: took it in this morning and they dunked it in a bath. It was a leak between the rim and tyre on the inner edge, so presumably not the result of kerbing. They took the tyre off, wirebrushed the rim and applied some black gunge with a brush, cleaned up the tyre edge and refitted and rebalanced. Back in the bath and it seems OK now, touch wood.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson