Alloy wheels

I've just bought some from an auction for the tyres, but now I am trying to find out what cars they will fit. I can look online to find what wheels will fit my car, and so forth, but I cant find anywhere where I can input in the details from the alloys and find out what car they will fit. Has anyone seen anywhere on the internet thaty can do this, or reccomend somewhere I can call?

TIA

-Ben

Reply to
Wagg

Wagg gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The relevant pieces of information you'll need are :-

PCD (eg 4x108 - 4 studs, 108mm diameter circle) Offset (eg ET35) Centre bore diameter (in mm)

Common sizes tend to fit a LOT of cars from a lot of manufacturers.

Reply to
Adrian

Motor Accesory shops such as Motor World can get stuff to pretty much fit anything. If they've not got it in store, you find the wheel you want, ring them up with the model of car its going on and they have them custom made and sent to you. Takes about a week.

Reply to
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I think that's the wrong way round for him, Conor...

Strikes me he's bought some unknown-fit alloys off fleaBay for the tyres, and wants to identify the rims so they can go back on the 'bay.

Reply to
Adrian

How's your IQ today Conor? Not good by the looks of things.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

How much faster do these make the car run?

Reply to
Shortarse Brian

Tyres ? A bit faster as they up the gearing, they also make the ride more comfortable HTH.

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Doesn't work like that. Changing the gearing will not increase the speed. he'd need more power to do that.

Reply to
Shortarse Brian

say what?

loopy livernose

Of course it does, if it was running on its rims it's vmax would be limited by gearing not power.

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Less weight thus moves the centre of gravity closer to the ground. Car then runs faster with a less suicidal driver?

Reply to
Adrian C

Rong. Heavier wheels would do that. Fit 4 flywheels and once you got up to speed you could freewheel for miles. It would corner like a train. Stopping would require train brakes.

Reply to
Gordon H

You are right. I am a tit.

Was thinking of arguments for low profiles.

I've been chewing too much aluminium lately...

Reply to
Adrian C

Apart from your theory being wrong, most alloys are actually heavier than the equivalent steel wheel for the same car.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

By your reckoning you can just keep putting bigger wheels on and the car will go faster and faster then?

Reply to
Shortarse Brian

I think you will find it will be a compromise between overal gearing and engine power. Like everything in life, nature and engineering, its a compromise.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Provided it has enough power, yes.

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Which is exactly what I said. Bigger wheels won't make a car go diddly squat faster. If anything they will slow it down.

Reply to
Shortarse Brian

Didnt buy from ebay, but that is where I was goign to put the wheels (rims) unless I knew someone with a car they would work on. I was quoted =A395 + VAT for new tyres (I need one now, and probably another in a month or so), whilst I got 4 and they came with new alloys for less than =A3200. No damage to the alloys, just thought I would put them on ebay for 99p and see what happens if all else fails. I've got the details off of the rims, which I have tried googling, but I get so many hits not relating to them it is taking some time to weed them all out!

-Ben

Reply to
Wagg

Wagg gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So what are they, then?

Reply to
Adrian