Almera oil gets dirty quick

Car: 1.4 P reg Nissan Almera, 70K miles, bought at 62K miles.

The car runs fine, doesn't smoke, doesn't use any oil. BUT on changing the oil, it is really black (but not thick). The previous owners always only had it changed once per year (=12K miles).

After only about 2K miles, the oil starts looking pretty black again.

I've googled around on the subject of flushing, and am now more confused as to whether it's worthwhile. Also crankcase breathers seem to be a possible cause.

I also own a 1.6 L reg Primera (84K on the clock) which has perfectly clean, golden coloured oil after about 6K miles from a change. [Aren't they basically the same engine?]

Any words of wisdom.

Thanks. Jim

Reply to
JML

The message from JML contains these words:

That's why you're changing it! Well, not 'cos it's black but because it's had a hard life. Seriously, oil goes black on all but the newest engines.

Reply to
Guy King

But - it's correct that some cars get their oil dirty faster than others. My

1992 Fiat has a 12 month oil change interval and the oil only gets really black towards the end of the period.

My old Toyotas used to get the oil black quite soon and had 6 monthly oil changes.

Reply to
Mark W

Think about it. Petrol/air ignites, leaves some soot in the combustion chamber and some of the cylinder as the piston is on its way down, oil is present on the cylinder wall. So soot gets mixed with oil. My guess is how black the oil gets is directly related to how clean the burn is.

Reply to
Steve B

My dad also has a 1.6 Primera ( 96P, about 88k) and that takes all year to discolour it's oil. It's never had an oil change more often than annually or at 9k. OTOH, my 2.0 Primera receives 6 month oil changes (about 5k until recently, more like 2k now :-) ), but started to turn the oil brown at the end of the 6 months.

FWIW, I suspect the previous owner has been telling porkies, and that the car hasn't had an oil change ever 12k.

BTW, the (old) Primera service interval is 9k/12 months, not 12k. Is the Almera different?

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

Your dad's and my Primera engines seem damned good at 80+K miles.

Not true. I have the service records from the local Nissan dealer, and the owners were not in any way connected.

So I'm still not decided on the wisdom of flushing. Also why the Almera engine seems to do this but the Primera doesn't. I might compromise the flushing issue and simplly do more regular oil changes (say 3K) for a year.

Cheers, JML

Reply to
JML

I presume you're talking about computer records, not the book of stamps? Few main dealers would have scruples about stamping the book up to provide a false FSH, thus increasing the sale value of the car. Be especially aware if any of the stamps are from a dealer who henceforth sold the car. IMHO, a collection of receipts/bills is far better evidence of regular servicing than a book of stamps!

Sounds wise. Many people advise against flushing badly contaminated engines, because large chunks of crap can become dislodged and block the oil circulation.

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu