Battery light occasionly glowing?

On my old late 80s car the battery light on the dashboard glows occasionally. The brightness of the glow isn't always the same each time. I am not getting any other symptoms. Its also been doing this for months now.

The battery is new so I guess this could mask an undercharging alternator? What do u think the problem is? Starts ok and not many electrics on the car. Anything to be concerned about?

Reply to
Jack Myers

Possibly not, but there is no way to be certain, sorry.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sounds very much like the death knel of the alternator.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

One possible explanation of the dim, intermittent battery light of varying intensity is an additional, unplanned for, inconstant, resistive load on the circuit. Corrosion at electrical contacts can create this load. I would suggest, in the first instance, thoroughly clean the battery terminals, and the earth strap-body panel contact. Finish with a smear of petroleum jelly (Vaseline).

Reply to
Lin Chung

Maybe, also same symptoms when the alternator brushes are nearly expired. I would fit a new set of brushes first before condemning the alternator unit.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

My old Fiesta (1994) did this. The Alternator light was always on dimly and I never did get to the bottom of it. The battery seemed to be charging OK though and I never had any starting problems in the 18 months it was doing it before I changed car. It was even fine last summer on a 2 week camping holiday using the car battery for a chilled coolbox and other ancilliary bits while stopped overnight!

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Mk2 Fiesta? Tab switches on dash? My very first car with the 1 litre Kent HC engine, went very well for its size. Same again, lamp always glowed very dimly, so dimly it was only noticable at night. Nothing wrong with the alternator, charged and ran OK. But as with all Dagenham Dustbins, once you get one major repair under your belt they then start to come in thick and fast at which point its time to cut your losses.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

The warning lamp bulb is part of the charging circuit on older systems. It's an alternator fault. Can eventually cook the alternator and/or battery. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Before you condemn the alternator, it might be wise to check/replace the alternator drivebelt.

Hellraiser...........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

check the condition of the main live wire that goes from the alt to the starter and onto the battery. usually its corroded where its bolted onto the starter. this gives a high resistance in the wire also check the thin(sometimes blue) wire from the alternator to the dash clocks for any corrosion/partial breaks

Reply to
ford_technical_