Alternator performing below par

My alternator seems to performing a bit below par. Could it be a slack belt? How do I check the belt is ok? What else could it be?

Reply to
Ted Rogers

What symptoms have you got to make you think it's below par? What car/engine have you got? Has it got an old-fashioned V belt or a modern multi-V type? What is the voltage at the battery with the engine at idle and the headlights on?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from Ted Rogers contains these words:

What are the symptoms?

From stone cold, run it for a few seconds - if the belt's slack the pulleys will be hot in that time. Anyway - they usually squeal if they're slack.

Reply to
Guy King

To check this you only need a cheap DVM. Maplin may have them on offer for as little as a couple of quid. The battery volts should be something like

13.8 - 14.2 with the engine running at a fast idle.

If the belt is slack you'll usually hear this after the first start of the day - it will screech.

You'd be best to describe the symptoms.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Worn brushes, which usually means an exchange unit.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Only if you're totally useless. So in which case no point in asking here, but simply take it to a garage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)