FAO JackH

How about this one? I'm actually quite tempted myself, I quite fancy something a bit retro in decent nick. Probably going to go for about £400, but you can guarantee it'd be easier to sell on than a tatty Mk3 Fester, especially in that condition + with that sort of history and mileage.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

4&rd=1

I used to have one of those... they're good on fuel, and they're not that slow either once you wind them up.

Alas, I am picking up an L plate Mk3 Fester 1.8D next weekend, with 64k on the clock.

I am also picking up a couple of scruffy XR2is', one of which just happens to be the same colour as the diesel, so can we see a plan coming together here? ;-)

On the 'posh' car front, I'm sniffing around a clean Merc 300TE seven seater estate at the mo... if I can get it for the right price, the Vectra is going to be replaced by that.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

D'oh! Get the Mk2 - much more character - those Mk3s are big lardy sacks of s**te though. Still, if it's cheap.....

Dear me no, not a bloody XRV lookalike! :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

4&rd=1

Bugger, missed it.

Although somewhat rough, the mark two Fester diesels are not bad motors.

Okay, so arguably they were never as good as the competition (which was pretty much the Peugeot 205 diesel back in those days), however they were fiendishly economical and performed reasonably well, too[2], but their real strength was that they're mechanically simple and easy to service.

The donk in your Fiesta van is related to the 1.6 litre diesel donk, too, heh heh!

Reply to
DervMan

Aye... well I'm planning a comeback to the hot rodding scene with the remanants of both cars - both run, both have half decent mechanicals, decent interiors etc., but both need a bit of TLC bodywise, and I reckon I can end up with a fairly nice looking old diesel for work, and more than my money back on the rest of the bits I can sell...

Given the track is the oval equivalent of a bumpy farm track, the softer diesel suspension might even work better on the rod than the XR2i stuff would.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH