Another XJ40 question

If I brake sharply at low speed, or when I brake and come to a halt and release the brake pedal, there is often a mild clunk-creak as the weight of the car shifts around.. is there a probable cause for this and is it likely to be worth remedying on a '91 car?

Thanks IanW

Reply to
IanW

Btw, for those that remember my post from about a week ago, I had the car serviced & the mechanic found that the air intake pipe, at the point where it connects to the engine, had not been refitted properly and there was a gap. The stalling has been cured. I'm going to replace the temp sender at the front of the engine to hopefully rectify the fluctuation of revs at cold idle, though it doesn't seem to do it as much now. Other than that, everything seems to run very sweetly for a 170k car, and when he measured the emissions he was quite surprised that they were nearer to that of a new engine rather than one of that age.

Regards IaneW

Reply to
IanW

is it the fabled rear axle bushes I wonder? lots of hassle and money to fix from what I can remember of skinned knuckles and swearing in several languages :)

Reply to
dojj

well, it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car - are there any fabled or non-fabled front axle bushes I should know about? ;-)

Reply to
IanW

not too sure if the front end is anything like the roller we did it cost £600 for a set of front bushes, and even then we had to cut the old ones out with a gas welder

Reply to
dojj