Astra aircon clutch?

I've got a '97 old shape astra and it is making a metallic scraping noise sometimes if you have the aircon switched off. This noise disappears as soon as the aircon is switched on and the clutch engaging is noiseier than it used to be.

This looks to me as if it may be the aircon clutch somehow beginning to fail. Does that sound feasable?

If I'm right on this can the clutch be changed or is it new compressor time (and mucho money)? Could I find a compressor in a scrappy and transfer it to my compressor which appears to work OK?

Any ideas welcomed.

Reply to
Simon Barr

The clutch on most air con units is adjusted for free running with thin shims, yours may just need reshimming.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Your description would point to faulty compressor clutch bearings. Does the area around the clutch look discoloured at all - units with failed bearings that I have seen usually have rust coloured stains around the pulley area, as well as witness marks from the pulley rubbing on the compressor casting itself.

The clutch can be changed, although some special tools are needed to complete the job - mainly to hold the centre of the pulley still while undoing the drive nut. Depending on the engine type in your car, there may be enough room to change the clutch without having to remove the whole compressor. This obviously saves the expense of having to have the AC system drained/re-gassed.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Wow, quick reply!

Is that a DIY job? The next to useless Haynes book I have doesn't even mention aircon at all. I tried digging around on the 'net last night but couldn't find anything there.

Reply to
Simon Barr

I haven't been able to look at the clutch yet. Last night I removed the airbox to try and get a better look at whatever was making the noise but I really need to get the wheel off and remove the inspection cover from the inner wing.

What you say above about the pulley rubbing on the casting, that is exactly what the sound is like. Can new bearings be fitted?

Its a 1.6 16v, X16XEL I think, if it makes any difference.

Ta.

Reply to
Simon Barr