Attn Mr Cheerful & Dave Plowman re Renault Scenic Wiper

Hi, just been back out fiddling with the wiring on the rear wiper motor. I connected up a new wire to the negative terminal on the battery to the motor, then ran a new wire to the permanent live from the battery to the motors permanent live, the wiper then worked non stop. I then tried touching the pulse one and got nothing except a few sparks. I tested continuity on the pulse one from the motor to the edge of the hatchback and that was fine, would I be right in presuming I should test the continuity from the steering column stalk? If so, how on earth do I get to it. If Im not right, any other things I should be doing? I took a picture of the motor but its rather blurry sorry. Will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far Pete

Reply to
PeteZahut

The permanent live one should NOT make the motor run continually, whereas putting permanent power to the one that gets a pulse WILL keep the motor running. The fact that it runs at all is good, now you need to find out which is the one with a problem, either the earth (very likely) or one or more of the positives (quite possible.

Leave the earth wire connected, connect the power plug and turn on the ignition and the wiper. See what happens.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Perhaps I have the pulsed one and the permanent mixed up, I'll go back out and check again later. This is what I'll do. Retest both the plug and motor for pulsed live and write it down. Unplug the motor completely. Connect a wire from the battery negative to the earth terminal on the motor. Connect a wire from the battery positive to the pulsed terminal on the motor. Connect a wire from the battery positive to the perm live on the motor. Reinsert in the plug and repeat tests.

I'll post the results here later.

Wish me luck :s Pete

Reply to
PeteZahut

It shouldn't do that. The permanent feed is only there to park the blade when the pulsed or switched one is off, as it were.

That should have made the motor run continually. Was it still connected to the car wiring? If so, can you disconnect the car wiring and try again?

My initial guess is still the timer relay still. If you can find this it should be possible to bridge its contacts with a bit of wire and prove things. Bridging its output contacts should make the motor run continuously. But I've no idea where it is in your car.

Many have an actual mechanical relay inside them - it's the coil which has the timer. And sometimes respond to having the contacts cleaned - if you can get inside it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nothing.

I have just been out again to redo things.

There is now a pic available at

letters are as followsA = Earth at plug. B = 11.72 permanent live C= Initially reads 11.72 then drops to 0 then randomly jumps back up to

11.72 and down again. D = Earth on motor. E = Should be 11.72 judging by the wires but reads 0 at all times. F = Again, reads 0v but when the new live touches that the motor works.

Im presuming that Im right in connecting the positive wire to F is the correct place, this makes the motor run all the time.

Nothing happens.

Exactly the same thing happened with the plug reinserted.

Does the picture of the motor help in any way?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Pete

Reply to
PeteZahut