Rear wiper woes on a renault scenic.

I have an X reg scenic and the rear wiper is playing up. Sometimes it works when you switch it on at the steering column stalk, other times it doesnt. Its also supposed to work when you put it in reverse, again, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes it will even work when the stalk is positioned to off. It only does this if its been switched on sometime during that particular drive though. Sort of a delayed reaction. What does everyone think it could be? If its the relay then does anyone know exactly where it is and would any relay from the renault range work in it. I have yet to see a scenic in a scrap yard unfortunately. Cheers, Pete

Reply to
PeteZahut

Does it work when you switch on the rear screen washer, or is this intermittant too. If neither works it's likely to be the relay. Don't know where it is on the scenic. If you get it working you should be able to hear the relay clicking as it turns on and off. You'll need to cross over the connection at the relay to ensure that the motor and wiring are ok. Check the wires where they go into the back door, several cars have problems here with wires breaking.

John.

Reply to
John

Just a thought (I know nothing about Renaults...)

Have you tried checking the earth to the tailgate?, I know on the GFs Ford(ha) Ka - that struggled getting an earth through the hinges; ended up wiring a dedicated earth line between boot and body.

Could explain the intermittent behaviour, also, the "delayed" response could be explained if the wiper motor kicked in slightly to move the blade from normal, and when the earth is made then the blade completes the full cycle.

Probably not the issue, but an easy one to check (if you've a couple of metres of cable)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Thanks for the replies, i'll try and answer them all here. Firstly, when i activate the washer, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Today I was driving, hadnt even touched the stalk and the back wiper activated even though the stalk was positioned to off. I have managed to find out where the click comes from but its behind the dashboard and looks like the only way to get it is by taking the lot out. Noooooo. What do you mean by cross over the connection at the realy to ensure the motor and wiring are ok? The wires on the back door:- a while ago the car was involved in a rear end collision, i dont know if the panel was removed but I'll check the wires tomorrow and stick a temporary earth on it to see if that makes a difference. Do you think that any relay for the renault range would work or are they likely to be different for each car? Also, how expensive are they? Cheers Pete

Reply to
PeteZahut