Audi dealer & servicing

I had my Audi A3 serviced last week at a main Audi dealer as the warranty runs out in a few weeks time. It was serviced and a couple of minor issues were noted, both of which were because I pointed them in the right direction.

The car went to a local garage for an MOT yesterday and it was found that the front offside lower ball joint was knackered. I was told it was dangerous and I really shouldn't drive it. The car later got taken to the Audi dealer on the back of a flat-bed truck.

In my opinion, something as bad as this should have been spotted by the dealer during the service, even though the car was just in for a non-scheduled service. I mentioned at the time that the service was booked that it was specifically because the warranty was due to run out and I wanted an problems fixed before the expiry date.

So, should they have picked this problem up and do I have a case against them, or is it one of those things that I'll have live with as it's not part of a basic service? My faith in main dealers is already low and I used an authorised Audi dealer only because an independent can't undertake warrranty work.

-- Chris

Reply to
CT

It is a common misconception that things like this should be spotted during a service. Unless it's in the service schedule (which I very very much doubt), the chances are they won't touch it, go near it, or report on it unless it's spotted by chance. Or they're being driven hard by managers to get sales.

That's what the MoT is for. And they spotted it. So be thankful.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I don't agree, a full service should check all the important systems of a car, including balljoints, in addition any full service should include a road test, and any good mechanic would notice if a balljoint was as bad as described during that test drive.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I've yet to put the bimmer into a garage and have it back with any more miles on it. It's a 54 plate and is 3 in December this year. 73k and 8 services. I recently had a drop link shear off the ARB, put it in for it's service there at 69k and it wasn't spotted. I only noticed it because for the first time in 73k miles, I drove with the radio at sensible level when I felt something wasn't right...

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Where you supplied with a checklist of the items supposedly checked? If the roadwheels / suspension / steering are on the list, I would be asking the dealer questions as to why the fault wasn't found.

Reply to
A C

I would get another garage. I put a car in to get an EMU code checked as the light was on in the dash and was given a list of things they found needed doing. And they did need doing, lots of it very minor.

Reply to
gazzafield

Does the service book give details of what should be done? If it doesn't cover inspecting these things I doubt you have a case. Few are happy to pay for extras that aren't included in the schedule and would be even more of a licence to print money for the dealer if they were.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whether they should have checked depends on the service schedule. Also, it won't be a warranty item anyway so they'd make money if they spotted it.

Also, why didn't you spot it? When they've gone that bad, the signs are there.

Reply to
Conor

Not sure - it's in the car. I'll check when I get it back.

Oh well...

How very true.

Reply to
CT

They are changing it under warranty, which is what I would expect for a car that's done Also, why didn't you spot it? When they've gone that bad, the signs

They may be there, but for those of us that really aren't mechanically minded, we wouldn't know them if they slapped us in the face. Well, I wouldn't anyway - and obviously didn't.

Reply to
CT

Level of mechanical knowledge innit. A friend of mine had a lift in his son's car the other day. First sharp corner and he spotted the worn CV joint. "Oh", says the son, "I wondered what that noise was." It had only been like that for a couple or three months.

Reply to
malc