Faulty supermarket fuel

I bought petrol at a Morrissons supermarket on the 2nd January and on the 6th I lost power and had white smoke coming out the back of the car.

Does anyone know when the faulty fuel problem first apeared ? The 2nd Jan may be too early.

Reply to
jocelynfernandes

No idea, how is the car now? Did it need any new parts or did it recover?

I would avoid supermarket petrol tbh, buy from Shell or Esso, they're usually just as cheap as the supermarkets or within 1p per litre of them.

Reply to
Marvin

That's because you have put too much oil in - or a petrol additive such as REDEX. What type of car is it and when was it last serviced?

Reply to
John

I predict a recurring theme here for the next six months.

"One of my tyres went flat, is it the petrol?", "My dog shat on the back seat, is it the petrol?" etc.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

2nd Jan was before the fuel problems I am sure. White smoke could be water vapour, which together with the loss of power would indicate a blown head gasket.
Reply to
Brian

On the same point can anyone shed light on why Fords seem to have coped with this faulty fuel without problem?

MattF

Reply to
Matt F

I would suspect that the Ford's ECU places less reliance on the lambda signal so the mixture just goes rich and the cars give no symptoms of a problem. Come MOT time there will be an emission fail due to faulty lambda sensor, but by then it will be too late to link it to the current petrol problem.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Graham wittered on forthwith;

I think it's more likely to be that Ford actually engineer their cars to run on s**te fuel as well as the good stuff, of course, the "prestige" manufacturers don't expect Sainsburys to sell dodgy fuel - "Tarquin, don't put Asda petrol in, dear, use Sainsburys. People might see you".

Well, Tarquin probably drives a Mondeo now, BMWs are so... common!!

Reply to
Pete M

It is.

Reply to