Follow up on flat tire repair.

I just went to the shop to see what they found. Rim looks fine. He says its the stem that's leaking. He says the tire is no good. Showed me all the powdered rubber inside the tire. (its off the rim) Says its from the tire breaking down and it wouldn't be safe!

Being a skeptic, If I was dishonest tire salesmen I would have a stock of powdered rubber to throw in the tire and then point it out to the customer as being very bad!!!!

Not saying that's what he's doing but he could be telling me anything, I'm not a tire expert.

So I guess it comes down to a matter of trust..

I did drive about 3/4 of a mile on the flat. and had been having a problem with that tire losing air. I know I had driven on it with very low air pressure. Would that cause the black rubber powder I was seeing? there must have been

1/4 - 1/2 a cup of the stuff. How far before driving on a flat tire will ruin the tire???

This guys a riot! should be on TV. He owns a tire,alignment, brake shop. He started going on about patching a tire and showed me how he does it by removing the tire and using a special plug and inspecting the inside of the tire for damage. Makes sense???

He's getting me a replacement tire and he will replace the stem.

Thanks for the input.....

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

Driving on a flat tire is like running a grinder or sander on the inside of the tire. My guess is that you would start seeing the black rubber powder after about 2 or 3 revolutions of the tire above 5 MPH, and you would definitely see a lot after driving 3/4 of a mile. If you drove 3/4 of a mile with the tire completely flat, the tire is probably ruined.

Sounds like thte guy knows what he is doing.

The best tire repair for a puncture in the tread is to dismount the tire, scuff the inside, and use a combination plug/patch that looks something like a mushroom. The "stem" of the plug/patch goes through the hole to seal the hole and prevent corrosion and movement of the tires's belts and the "cap" prevents air from leaking.

Reply to
Ray O

Most tire places I've been to do alignment and brakes as well. What's wrong with that? I personally like the idea of getting the car aligned whenever I get my tires changed.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

No, his personality is a riot. He's just very passionate about tires and safety which is a good thing. Every time I go there he goes on and on about proper procedures. Very animated, That's what I mean by he should be on TV. He makes a good case for doing it right..

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

actually that type of tire repair from the inside is now industry standard and is the safest way because if you don't you may miss the inside damage that could cause a blowout down the road.and it don't take long at all to damage any tire when flat to low pressure do ty over flexing and heat.i would stick to this guy it sounds like he is honest and proud of his work

Reply to
MASTER-TECH