Auto Door locking on a Mondeo

Help please.

I've recently bought an '04 Mondeo Ghia X & I'm wondering if the door locks can be made to lock automatically after the car moves away from a stand?

It's a common feature on N. American cars & being a Ford, it's possible that it shares some of it's electronic systems.

I have noticed, but it's not in the driver's handbook, that if you unlock the car with the remote, but do not ope any doors, the car re-locks it's self after a short time. Strange!

I'd be grateful for any information.

TIA, David Clark.

Reply to
DC

You posted the exact same question 3 days ago and were given a link with comprehensive instructions on it.

Howdy

why would you want the doors to lock when the car drives off ?

Reply to
‹(•¿•)› BORG

Very true............

Sorry, not enough sleep, etc.......

I've now read my original post & the informative replies.

Thanks to all who contributed, David C.

Reply to
DC

in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, "?(?¿?)? BORG" slurred :

Because you are an undereduated american and have accepted your paranoia programming and are therefore absolutely convinced that everyone outside your car is desperately trying to get you, and that when you stop at traffic lights they will open the door and molest you before stealing your mobile phone, your kidneys and any small children you happen to be carrying. Basically for all the same reasons that you would live in gated communities.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Perfectly sound security feature. It's easy enough to accidentally press the "unlock" button on your remote as you put your keys/remote back in your pocket/handbag/purse etc. Would you really want your car to be left unlocked as a result as you walk away ?

Reply to
John Laird

Tell that to my colleague who was carjacked in Manchester.....

Reply to
cupra

I never like the idea of running with the doors locked. Sometimes I've stopped at traffic lights in rather dodgy areas and I've locked the doors but I've made sure to unlock them as soon as possible afterwards. For the simple reason that, $deity forbid should I have a crash, I want the emergency services to be able to get to me as quickly and as easily as posssible.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

That's what the Jaws of Life are for :-> - besides, I thought that locks were required to unlock on severe impact in any case, just as doors are required to be designed so that on impact they don't deform into unopenable shapes.

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

They dont care if they damage your lock etc, if involved i a serious accident, chances are the doors wont open anyway without jaws of like type thing, if its simple they break the glass. I now drive around with door locks, had many drunks/smack heads etc try my car doors while im in, and with a dog.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

However...

I stopped outside a supermarket and left my wife in the car. As I put the keys in my pocket, I accidentally locked the doors. So I unlocked them again, and went into the supermarket.

20 seconds later, the doors locked and deadlocked, and the alarm armed.

SWMBO was not amused at being locked in a car with the alarm going off.

Reply to
Steve Walker

If you want to wait for the fire brigade

If they autolock

They're actually supposed to stay shut to stop you being thrown out.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, " cupra" slurred :

Yes, carjackings/mobile phone/handbag snatching do occur, but pretty infrequently. There is, of course, an argument for locking your doors when you are driving through an area where you might expect there to be a risk, but it's something you can do easily enough on the rare occasions that you need it - having an automated system do it every time you drive suggests that the risk is widespread. The american market essentially demands the auto-doorlocking feature as a necessity, i.e. they believe that they are at risk all the time.

I'm fairly sure that the penalties of living in a paranoid culture are worse than the actualy crimes they are paranoid about.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

The message from "?(?¿?)? BORG" contains these words:

I've often wondered this. Much is made of the impact sensors unlocking the car in the event of a crash, but of course, that doesn't cover driving into rivers, being hit from some other direction that doesn't set of the airbags, fire or any number of other alarming things.

Reply to
Guy King

Like a accident or a breakdown - you cant exactly pick when they happen unless you yourself know something the rest of us dont .

Reply to
SOR

Where were her keys ? (Mine are *never* out of my pocket.)

Reply to
John Laird

In message , John Laird writes

She's not insured to drive that car, so she doesn't have a set of keys for it.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The message from Steve Walker contains these words:

My wife ain't insured for my car but she still has a key for it, and damned useful it is, too.

Reply to
Guy King

There's a balance of risk involved. In an accident with the door locked, they are less likely to fly open and part company than if they are unlocked. This protects you a lot more as the doors help to tie the car's structure together as well as keeping out bits of other cars / fenceposts / etc.

There is also the bonus that nobody can open the passenger door to nick yer handbag, but that's a quite different thing, probably best to let them take the stuff rather than smash the window - tip, don't leave things on display even when yer in the car. Or have a wheel brace under the seat and the willingness to brandish it before things get that far.

Risk of the door staying locked against the emergency services is fairly minor, the security works in a way that tends to unlock in a severe shunt and anyway the car deforms so the door quite possibly doesn't unlock anyway and needs someone to take you out through the windscreen or pry open the door with a crowbar, etc.

I'm under the impression that "lock on go" has a statistically beneficial effect overall. Like, I'd enable it, if I had it. But I don't think I need to retrofit it.

Reply to
Questions

The message from snipped-for-privacy@forgotten.what.this.was.now.com contains these words:

Really? Is that an assumption or provable? Whether or not the lock is engaged has little to do with the way the latch works inside, it just prevents the operating rod doing anything.

Reply to
Guy King