Average life of brake pads

When I bought my Mondeo, the front discs were warped, I replaced 'em and the pads with decent aftermarket stuff.

28k miles later, I decided to service the car, I thought I'd better replace the front pads too. after so long I was expecting them to be almost worn out.

When I'd taken the wheels off, the pads are less than half worn, car stops fine, no squeaks, rattles, pulling to either side etc. all pads are worn to the same amount.

My question is, how long do pads normally last ? I'm sure these have lasted far longer than any car I've owned recently and it's not as if it's a lightweight car.

Cheers :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

You obviously drive like a nun ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

You have a good driving style :-)

Reply to
Kev'

My estimate for the life of a set of front pads would be 30,000 miles. We had an Espace that would always wear out the discs in that time.

My recollection is that the older pads (asbestos based) lasted much longer but some may say this is just a bad memory ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay

It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type question.

I had one of the first production cars to feature discs. It had no servo, but stopped OK. However, the pads wore out on 5k miles!

OTOH, they last around 40k miles on my Focus.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

...or a result of asbestos inhalation?

Reply to
gthh

How long is a peice of string? It all depends on where you drive, when you drive and how you drive.

Reply to
Conor

Down to driving style and type of motoring , sedate driving on open roads up to 40K , boy racer round town , stop start 10k

Reply to
steve robinson

On average I get about 40K miles. It will vary a lot accoeding to car, driver, and average journey.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Hehehe, a nun with points :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What was it?

Reply to
Adrian

Well perhaps if you slowed down more often...

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Well yeah it is one of those "How long is a piece of string" type of question. It is no difference to "how many MPG can you do in a particular car" type of questions.

Dont tell me some times your brakes last 1miles and other times it last 1 millions miles? or sometimes you can do 1 miles in a gallon or sometimes it never runs out of fuel?

OP did say "average miles" before the brakes need replacing. There has to be an average miles you can do before you replace your pads/discs/drums.

My front pads last between 30-40k depending on the brand/type/car/model/where/how it was driven.

So whats your average then?

or is it random ranging from zero miles to infinity and therefore cannot say? :D

Reply to
spam

1996 Hillman Super Minx 1725, MKIV.

It was quite a heavy car by the standards of the day. A previous owner had fitted wider (Ford) wheels to it; these were inadequately ventilated. It wasn't unusual for me to get out if it at night and notice the discs glowing...

I've remembered another disc-braked servo-less car I had; it was a 1974 Avenger. Pad life on that was quite reasonable though.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Was 1725 the year and 1996 the cc?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

LOL!

Some days I feel that old...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

'66, we presume...

Only about a decade after the first production disced cars, then... but still quite early for prosaic British tin, 'tis true.

Reply to
Adrian