Axle suggesion please

Hello all,

This may seem a strange question... I am looking for an axle from a vehicle with the following requirements:

Tubular design Non Live axle Handbrake mech fitted (i.e. in the main rear axles) Simple strip down operation for brakes Wheel bearings that can be easily re-packed with grease.

The axle will be fabricated, along with another (including width extensions) to suit an American twin axle trailer being refitted with non US (braked) axles and refurbed. The trailer carries a boat. Sounds a lot of work but I want to retain this trailer frame. The hydraulic brakes will be used as part of an overrun braking system being incorporated. The requirement to be able to strip the brakes quickly and simply is important as the trailer will be put into water to launch a craft.

Can you suggest an axle to meet the above requirements? One suggestion so far.. Ford Fiesta MK2 rear axle.

John

Reply to
John

What weight will the axle have to carry?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Rear axle from a FWD van?

Reply to
adder

I have a commercial trailer (ex british rail site hut) with two very suitable axles that is for sale, buy that off me and cut off the bits you need .

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Approx 500kgs a piece.

John

------------

Reply to
John

Series II/III Landrovers have about as simple brakes as you're likely to get with hydraulics, although no handbrake on the wheels (it's a transmission brake), and would carry this weight. They have leaf springs. They are, however, live, but would this matter? You could take out the diff and shafts. I wonder whether the Fiesta axle would carry 500 kg. I suppose it would, but it must be near the limit.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

MK1 Astra rear axle...... simply remove the 4 bolts and weld a flange on a

4"x4" box section and re attach hubs, sandplates e.t.c Built loads of trailers with em

JK

Reply to
JK

John ( snipped-for-privacy@nomailreplieshewith.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I s'pose the key question is "what width is needed?"

Reply to
Adrian

Would an alko-co axle from a scrap caravan suit?

Or perhaps a Polo c '94 - the hubs on these seem very easy to dismantle, if that's what you need.

Reply to
Richard Murphy

Interesting, I can't picture the Polo rear axle, I will have to have a look at one.

John

Reply to
John

I would imagine this is an axle I can quite easily get hold of and the parts cost to rebuild the axle would be cheap. I like the sound of this option.

John

Reply to
John