battery voltage loss

No, no, and no... Thats not what happens.

An alternator is not like a motor, it has a fixed stator for a start and generates multi phase AC power, to turn this using electric would require specific power on specific inputs into the windings. The diode pack would stop power going into any of these windings anyway.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Err no they don't, stick DC into an indution motor & all it will do is act as a brake &/or melt.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The message from "G-Man" contains these words:

Because that's not how alternators work.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Nik&Andy" contains these words:

And a feed to the rotor to provide a magnetic field for the field from the windings to operate on.

Reply to
Guy King

Eh? A universal motor - which will run on AC or DC - if 'motored' to generate will produce DC only.

Nothing you could reasonably do to a car alternator will turn it into a motor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I've been idly toying with this idea all evening.

It'd be quite a challenge!

Reply to
Guy King

Well, looks like all the diagnosing was pointless as the alternator just packed in completely; sat idling for fifteen minutes with lights and radio only on for half of it with no probs - until I needed to get into the boot (need key). Wouldn't re-start - click-click-click noise..not enough in the battery to turn it over. Managed to bump-start it and get home with the headlights dimming all the way. Now have THREE batteries that won't start a car! But at least this one's still got 9.5 volts in it.

Ahh well, new alternator by the weekend and that BETTER fix it.

Thanks for all the advice given on this though, this is some group :) Got myself a bit of an education in the last week or thereabouts :)

Chandy

Reply to
chandy

Just apply 12V AC to the stator, with a couple of Caps to off set the phases & DC to the rotor.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Charge them using an ordinary mains charger as soon as possible. No scratch that, NOW. If you leave a lead acid battery completely flat you'll knacker it.

You have PROVED that's where you current drain is haven't you?

Good luck.

Reply to
Ian Edwards

Anyone know offhand whether I want a 55A or 70A unit? Halfrauds seems to have them on sale at the mo. Reminder - 96 escort 1.3.

Reply to
chandy

Ian Edwards wrote: > Charge them using an ordinary mains charger as soon as possible. No

If I had one I would! Only charger I have only fits AA's! Did I hear that Lidl has them this week?

By a process of elmination, yes, plus it's definitely now knackered anyway so it needs changed.

Ta! It would have to be snowing on the night I'm to change my alternator wouldn't it??

Chandy

Reply to
chandy

What they have got that may be of interest is one of those jump starting packs - with compressor for tyre inflating and torch - and chargers for either mains or off the cigar lighter, for 19.99. Half what Argos were charging a few weeks ago. 3 year guarantee too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

starting

Will have to pop-in now I'm up and running again.

Ended up getting a replacement alternator from halfords of all places,

39.99 after I give them the old one. And that was the 70A one, which was strangely cheaper than the 55A. Think there's a sale on.

Thanks again everyone.

Chandy

Reply to
chandy

A lot of people knock halfrauds (me included) but every now & then they do some terrific deals. I recently got a clutch kit for £35 where the average price elsewhere was around £70.

Reply to
Mark