batties for key fob rip off

hi

last week i went to the local FORD garage in IPSWICH to replace the battery in my mondeo key fob are yes said the sales man its the same as mine, looked up on the computer and said it takes two batteries and they are =A33.70 plus vat each (I needed 2) that made it over =A38 for the two. told him to keep them I will go with out. got home took the key fob apart and out jumped two batteries,on looking at the battery number I realised they were the same as I had bought at Colchester about a month before for a different item. the number on the battery was CR2016 I had bought four of these and they cost me 40p each. I call this a total rip off. what do you think

simbsimbo

Reply to
simbosimbo

last week i went to the local FORD garage in IPSWICH to replace the battery in my mondeo key fob are yes said the sales man its the same as mine, looked up on the computer and said it takes two batteries and they are £3.70 plus vat each (I needed 2) that made it over £8 for the two. told him to keep them I will go with out. got home took the key fob apart and out jumped two batteries,on looking at the battery number I realised they were the same as I had bought at Colchester about a month before for a different item. the number on the battery was CR2016 I had bought four of these and they cost me 40p each. I call this a total rip off. what do you think

simbsimbo

same battery that is inside most computers for the bios.

3£ + is a ripoff
Reply to
banjo

All batteries are not from the same maker and not of the same quality. And like all products a seller can charge what they like anyway. Maplin, for example, charge 1.99 for a CR2016.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just to be pedantic. IME most computer m/boards have a CR2032 fitted. Same voltage and diameter as a CR2016, but thicker with more capacity. Button cells by well known manufacturers can be baught quite cheaply on Ebay, even when postage costs are included. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Just for reference, the "20" is the diameter in mm, the "16" or "32" would be the thickness in tenths of a mm. (eg 1.6mm.)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

i stand corrected :-)

Reply to
banjo

Ah. Useful information. Didn't realise it was logical.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Now that is a ripoff :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes, but.

What we have here is a more general case of '*anything* from a main dealer is a ripoff'

Reply to
PC Paul

The message from "Duncan Wood" contains these words:

Talking of rip-offs, I went to National Trys for an oil change yesterday with one of their £15 print it off the internet vouchers.

Guess what? They didn't have that oil in stock but could do the more expensive oil. I wonder how often they get away with that. Not in this case - I asked when they've have the proper oil and booked in it for then.

What's the betting that come Friday the oil mysteriously hasn't turned up?

Reply to
Guy King

They also used to have a weird fixed price according to engine size for an oil change. My SD1 is over their 3 litre limit but takes only 5.5 litres at change time. My 2.8 BMW rather more...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)