BMW recently serviced- questions

I had my 2 year old/15K mile 335d into the dealer for its first service eight days ago. Becasue of the crappy weather, I wasn't too inclined to inspect the car, but today, I decided to have a poke around. Looking at the dipstick, the oil appears fairly black. I didn't take a sample of the oil beforehand for comparison, but it looks a lot more black than I have seen on other cars that I have owned, shortly after the oil has been changed. At a guess, the car has clocked up something in the region of 30-50 miles since servicing. Would you expect it to look fairly clear at this point, or could a car (especially a diesel) blacken it over this kind of distance? I guess one factor could be how much residual old oil was left in the sump and oilways. If they weren't careful to drain as much as possible and replaced the sump plug as soon as the majority of the old oil had disgorged, the residual gunk could taint the new stuff. It's playing on my mind a bit because the cost of the new oil alone was =A3120 and I would hate to think that it hadn't even been changed! The other things I noticed were i) a good litre of void space in the washer reservoir and ii) a lot of leaves and crud clogging the mesh drain covers under the bonnet at either side of the windscreen end of the engine bay. In respect of i), I have barely used the windscreen washer since servicing and I would have imagined that topping this up would be on the job list. In respect of ii), the leaves dropped off the trees months ago, so I can't see this having happened during the last week. Does it sound as though I have been stiffed? I know dealer servicing is never what some folks would consider VFM, but one doesn't expect to be charged for stuff that hasn't been done.

Cheers, Jim.

Reply to
md1jrw

I'm no diesel expert, but my '88 Cavalier went to 180,000 miles, and the oil was never black that son after a change, every 6000m. Does seem odd, especially in a recent car. Oil sounds expensive as well.

Reply to
4square

In message , md1jrw writes

Fresh oil in a diesel will turn black within seconds of the engine being started so don't worry about that.

As for the other stuff.... years ago dealers used to top up the washer fluid and charge a fortune for it. Nowadays they don't do it unless you ask them. As for the leaves... perhaps they should have fished them out.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Black immediatly after change is normal on most diesels.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thats quite normal in most desiel cars , i would certainly moan about the washers not being topped up , my favourite was tyre pressures , very few garages check the tyre pressures

Reply to
steve robinson

md1jrw gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

They probably didn't touch the drain plug, but sucked it out through the filler.

Would you rather pay BMW dealer prices for screenwash, or local motor factor prices and spend a whole two minutes filling it up yourself?

TBF, you clearly haven't been that bothered about it up until now, so why worry now?

Reply to
Adrian

Its a diesel, this is normal.

Reply to
Conor

And its a good indication of the lack of care the OP takes with the car.

Reply to
Conor

yes normal for the oil to turn black quickly in a diesel, as for the leaves thats one of my pet hates, I always hoover out the scuttle of any debris when I'm servicing a vehicle.

Reply to
reg

Afraid that I'm going to go against the consensus here. I've owned half a dozen TDi's over the last few years (all new) and have always found that the oil has been relatively 'clean' after a service.

Yes, there is some streaking (probably due to garages being too idle to drain the oil properly, and using top-extraction methods) but it has never been really 'black' until a good few hundred miles later.

My own thoughts would be that:

1] they didn't change the oil at all.

2] they changed the oil, but not the filter

3] they did change the oil & filter - but left a fair amount of the old oil in.

I'm confident that if you took it to an independent garage and watched them drain the oil properly, you would not see really black oil immediately afterwards.

Reply to
the gods have made us mad

May be I am more mature and experienced. If I get my photo taken, I shall have a free bus pass.

I've had, I think, 8 d motors and the oil is always black. Several I've taken into 150k plus and two well beyond 200k miles.

Your beef about the washers does not need relating, they always cheat irrespective of whether you have the reservoir filled before you go to the garage. They are shites. As soon as you can "legitimately" go to an independent, do so.

My Focus (51 with 156k miles) always has wonderful black oil.

My wife's 206cc D (07) with only 8500 miles has oil of a similar clarity.

Reply to
Clot

Thanks for the comment and completely different to my experience with regard to the visual aspect.

Reply to
Clot

"Clot" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That'll be the first service, then.

Reply to
Adrian

Black oil in a diesel after a change yes. HOWEVER, I bet they sucked it out through the dipstick hole, as removing the covers and then getting the sump bung out is FAR too much like hard work for a dealer nowadays.

Sucking it out always leaves a litre or so in the sump, and personally I wouldn't let it be done on any of my motors. Do the job f**king properly, especially as its going to be in there now for at least 15k miles.

Leaves left on the scuttle, and washer not full are very very simple shortfalls, what else havent they done that is less obvious??? Christ, you are paying totally top dollar for this 'service'...

I have had 2 bad experiences with 2 different BMW garages, (longish story) over charging for work they hadnt done.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Maybe there was a computer somewhere on the car that said that oil wasn't due for change? :)

2) Anyway, I believe that 15k miles is far too long without oil change.

When dealers finally change the oil, they usually overfill way above the max mark, which is also bad for the engine.

I remember I had a dealer service (ages ago) on my car. I noticed that the air filter was still dirty. When confronting the dealer, he said that it didn't need change. Since then I do all service myself.

Reply to
johannes

But do they spray the interior with 'new car' smell? Most important part of the service...

Reply to
johannes

Mercedes Trucks recommend 60k. Their engines never fail to do 500,000+ miles without so much as a spanner near them.

Reply to
Conor

and yet there are 100s of thousands of cars on the road with no sump drain plug at all, obviously the makers don't think that leaving a small amount in the sump is a real problem.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

and they hold several gallons of oil and most importantly they run for days at a time, sometimes never even getting cold. rather different to the road car with less than a gallon and used for 5 miles at a time.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Really?

What manufacturers are omitting them completely? That's crazy.

Reply to
Adrian