Bought a cheap car from a dealer, what are my rights?

How so?

Advertised through Autotrader or the local papers, and sold to anyone who walks in off the street wanting to buy it.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Gotta be a Ka. R's too late for a 'scrote.

Or something not-quite-oriental. Probably a Direwoo.

Reply to
Adrian

When selling to the general public, you're either a trader or it's a private sale. If it's a trader, then it doesn't matter what kind of trader, then the car must be roadworthy, correctly described and be fit for purpose. It is not unreasonable to assume that a 'dealer' is a 'trader'.

Reply to
Johannes

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@stop-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Go on...

Bear in mind, in your reply, that it was described in the OP's post as being advertised as a "trade-in", and that both Steve and the OP are members of the "general public", whatever that may be.

Reply to
Adrian

Nah, it's not. I passed a Scrote on a V plate coming home tonight.

Hmmm, they don't really rot in a big way, do they? - unless it's an Espero or Nexia. Which is possible on an R plate.

Reply to
SteveH

But 'part-exchange bargain on trade terms' is different form selling to the general public.

Reply to
Johannes

It's a Rover - the rust is around the top of the screen, extensively around and between the hinges for the hatchback and on the rear passenger offside sill.

I don't think it would be fair to name the dealer at this stage, before I've even spoken to them on the phone. I really just wanted to know my options.

I know I was really stupid to buy it without checking it out first, but I nievely thought I'd be fairly safe since it was from a dealer. How wrong am I? :(

Reply to
Tony

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I hope the dealer gave it to the original owner.

And for which £500 would be top dorrah.

Reply to
Adrian

Tony ( snipped-for-privacy@cooldark.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

100?
Reply to
Adrian

That sounds as though it's been in a smack, to me.

Do they really rust that badly at that age?

Post the details here - preferably a link to the original advert, if possible. Let people here decide what to do based on that. There's some in here who know their stuff and may well be able to suggest a proper course of action to you, if you ignore the naive fools like Johannes.

Reply to
SteveH

800.
Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Are there any left?

Reply to
Adrian

Wrong.

My invoice clearly says 'no warranty implied or given - sold strictly on trade terms'.

That would appear to be pretty clearly relieving them of any future responsibility.

Reply to
SteveH

400; with ABS, remote c/locking, e/w, e/m, e/sr etc. The fact that one electric window escapes for it's runners wasn't mentioned, or that an electric mirror was totally trashed either. Come to think about it, all the rubber around the sunroof is perished (and doesn't appear to sit in line with the roof when it's closed either).

I really should take some photos to corroborate my description of this shed of a car. :/

Reply to
Tony

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@stop-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Right. So where's this bollocks about being an "official auto 'Trader' with commercial premises" come from?

The cheapest Rover 100 on a national search on Autotrader is £125. There are 10 under £500, including a £450 76k W-reg.

But that's _JUST_ the traders. There's another six in private sales.

Reply to
Adrian

Rover 100s, yes... the rest.

Hmm, not to that extent at that age as a rule.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Tony ( snipped-for-privacy@cooldark.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Again, seven of them (all 45-shape) advertised on AutoTrader under £500 by traders. Cheapest is a £295 P-reg 416Si with 75k. Newest is an 88k '99/S

416Si for £495.

Woo. Lots of things to go wrong. Do any of 'em work?

Yeh, you'll laugh at yourself in years to come.

Reply to
Adrian

OK, I kept the original photos and the advert text (minus contact details):

(Who wouldn't think that was a bargain?)

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I bought a 1997 Rover 620 in good nick for £450 from a dealership because the MOT was due and he couldn't be arsed to MOT it. Only needed a back box.

Reply to
Conor

Rear sill is a common rot point.

Reply to