Brake discs

There are exceptions, like if new pads were fitted shortly before the discs were changed, or they show little signs of wear. Then, flat the wear surface using a sheet of emery, or as I did, with a surface grinder. Slightly thinner but flat and perfectly OK to use on new discs. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Why? New pads have to bed into old discs - the same in reverse will be the case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

replaced in pairs? it must be me but why does that statement make no sense?

Reply to
dojj

Frankly I never take any chances where brake components are involved. If one disk is close to minimum tolerance and the other still has a bit to go I would still replace both as a pair for safetys sake. Is it worth saving £50 when it could cost you and any passengers you may be carrying a severe handicap or even death? Brakes are one thing I would never try to economise on.

Reply to
Dave

The message from Dave Plowman contains these words:

Provided they're reasonably flat I'd reuse pads. If they're seriously wavy I'd want to true them up first.

Reply to
Guy King

This is fine of course, but for the average drive-way mechanic I'd always say new pads. With life-critical components its not worth the risk.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Economical solutions to braking problems, don't necessarily compromise braking efficiency. In many cases the two are compatible. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It must be me, but why do people nit-pick and top-post?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

It's nitpick by the way.

not nit-pick.

Sorry had to do that

:-)

/Heds

See top post.

:-)

Reply to
Hedley Phillips

Bollox :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

ITYM "Bollocks"....

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

Yours, or a clean pair?

Reply to
Guy King

I think Haynes would say:

"Bollocks should be discarded when removed and replaced with new ones upon refitting. Additionally, they must always be installed in matching pairs."

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Ruth

words:

I'm not fussed really.

Anyway, I still think it's nit-pick. There are numerous things which could be picked; arses, for example, and "arsepick" sounds like something you'd find in a pork pie. "Arse-pick" looks better, depending on your point of view.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave" saying something like:

Fine, if both discs are worn to the point of needing replaced shortly anyway. If, otoh, one might have a warp while the other is perfectly fine - in that case it makes no sense to replace the good one.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A Tesco Value one, p'raps. I'd like to think a half-decent Melton Mowbray one would be free of arse pickings..... Ewww.

Reply to
Adrian

'Ere! I work for Tesco and I'll have you know.........you're probably right.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

The message from Brian Ruth contains these words:

To remove bollocks they must first be turned through the correct angle to disengage the locking lugs. Using the special tool described in section 7.14, bolt the open end of the tool to the bollocks using 8mm bolts. Using a rubber mallet apply a sharp blow to the end of the tool to turn the bollocks anticlockwise through the angle noted in the data section.

Refitting is the reverse of removal though care should be taken to wipe tears from the eyes before starting.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

Me, I prefer larks' tougues.

Reply to
Guy King

Hope then you have the same attitude to tyres, dampers, steering components...

Reply to
Dave Plowman