Brake discs

Should they be replaced in pairs?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I think the answer has to be 'yes'!

Funnily enough, though, they're not always sold in pairs. When I bought a set for my Megane from the dealer (£140!!!), they were supplied in a box as a pair. I later got some from a motor factor (lesson about dealer parts prices learnt!), they were charged singly.

But I'd always fit them as a pair, otherwise you've got different wear and potentially different levels of braking from each side - not good!

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Ruth

Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It depends.

I think there's a fair argument to replace them singly on - say - the front of a Reliant.

Otherwise, I'll stick to pairs....

Reply to
Adrian

Fnarr :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

That's what I thunk. Ta.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

The world is full of comedians today - is it the sun? ;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I s'pose in fairness to the dealer, that price was for new pads, too.

You *were* going to fit new pads to go with the new discs...!

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Ruth

Thought I might.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

The message from "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

Yes - apart from wanting similar braking characteristics on both sides, whatever's happened to one the other probably isn't far behind.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It may be that one disk needs replacing due to a stuck caliper wearing a pad out too quickly, grating the disk.

On the other hand, I once bought a car that only had a disk fitted to one rear wheel.... The other side just had the caliper and hub fitted...

Reply to
Adrian

It looks like that - one side is completely ferked yet the other is fine. Braking, allegedly, is straight though - no pulling or owt.

There's lovely.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

'swot I said. Almost.

Reply to
Adrian

A Reliant has a disc?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Only in as much as if one is worn or warped, the other can't be far behind.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I'd be surprised if 3 wheel Reliants had front discs. Ok though to fit them one at a time on many m/cycles. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Dave Plowman ( snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No idea. Call it comedic licence.

Reply to
Adrian

You'd think. See above though...

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Very much *yes*, and with new pads. Never re use old pads with new discs.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Actually a brick on a length of string. When you want to slow down you lob it out the window and hang on to the end of the string.

Followed a Reliant in deep snow once. Once he had dropped his front wheel into another vehicles track he had to go where they had gone. Hilarious...

Vin

Reply to
Vin

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" saying something like:

Ideally, yes, but if you can't be arsed / can't afford it, then suit yourself.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon