Brake fluid

+AD4- How long can you keep an opened new can of brake fluid for ?

As long as it's stored in an airtight container (so there's no more damp air getting to it) I keep it for years.

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Quite possibly it will still be ok, however, for safety's sake it is good advice not to keep it too long and since brake fluid in use is recommended to be changed every two to four years ...........................

I suppose that if you have a brake fluid quality tester (works a bit like a damp meter) you could check it before use.

Brake fluid is not expensive though, so there is no real case for prolonged storage of opened containers.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well yes, but that's not stored in an airtight container... It also gets heat cycled over a wide range.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

is it worth advising someone that it will be OK since you cannot know all the conditions? I have known people put the fluid they have bled out back in with the new stuff, I have often seen people shake brake fluid before pouring it in etc. etc.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Non of which has any bearing on storing unused fluid in the original container.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But given the original container isn't normally designed to keep moisture out folloeing the instructions on it would seem sensible. Or stick it in something clean with a decent seal.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It is. Because it's got a tear-off seal glued to the neck of the bottle. Once that's off, all bets are off.

Dave's right, in that a squeeze of the bottle with the cap back on will show if it's roughly airtight.

Reply to
Adrian

But can you, in all good conscience, recommend a total stranger to keep it indefinitely? I would not.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Previously on this thread... No, I wouldn't.

Reply to
Adrian

All the brake fluid containers I've seen seal well. What type are you thinking of that doesn't? As I said earlier - try squeezing it when sealed. If air doesn't come out it's a good seal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah come one, take that to its logical conclusion and none of us would ever give out any advice, or we'd all be adding massive disclaimers to everything we write. Personally, I prefer to assume a modicum of common sense in those who bother to read my drivel.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

fully agree, which is why I said just a year, that is fairly safe advice, indefinitely isn't safe advice (I believe)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Indeed. It would seem some here reckon you junk a container of brake fluid after it's been opened regardless. I've used such that's been several years old without problems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So long as you don't assume the "Shake thoroughly before use often seen on other fluid containers". ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H