Brake pad - size of friction area

Got some Mintex front pads for my 99 Accord 1.8 and they clearly have a smaller area (that contacts the disc) than the Lucas originals. The original shims now don't fit either, although Mintex claim to do an accessories kit, which I don't have and don't know it's contents. Pic at

Is it common for non-OEM to have a smaller area?

They are definitely the correct pads for the car, according to the Mintex paper catalogue and website anyway!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich

they are the wrong pads

Reply to
mrcheerful

They're definitely the wrong pads, the new ones look like the 2l vented version, the old ones the 1.8 pads, not the 1.8 sports. You want MDB1989 not mdb1988 at a guess.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

New ones I have are MDB1988. I now see the Mintex website diffentiates between..

1.8 1998-2003 = MDB1989, and 1.8S 1998-2003 = MDB1988

The car is badged a 1.8S so MDB1988 was the choice, but there again I don't think there was such a thing as a base 1.8 so something isn't quite right. There was a 'Type S' later, but that had the 2.4 engine IIRC.

Seems you're almost certainly correct that MDB1989 is what I need.

Thanks all round.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

It's not an uncommon phenomenen, It took me two attempts get the Xantia Estate ones the other week.

Reply to
Duncan Wood