Front to rear brake pipe - MoT query

Me (yet) again... I am replacing the front to rear brake pipe on a 1989 RR as the old one is rusty. Threading the new pipe around the chassis rail and outriggers is tricky and I was thinking of making the new pipe up in two sections with an extra male/female union joint about half way along the chassis rail. Can anybody see any problem with this vis a vis UK MoT - i.e. does this pipe need to be a single length??

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Sam Clayton

I once had a Citroen BX, and most of the hydraulic system had double female unions holding it together - brakes, suspension, the lot. I never had a problem come MoT time.

(The original steel pipes rusted badly, but the replacement cupro-nickel bits lasted much better ...)

Reply to
QrizB

dont be fooled Greame it is quite easy to do provided you get the car on stands to give you room to see what you are doing and to manipulate it get yourself a few pipe mounting clips cos they break very easily and be very thankful you are not doing the one that runs down the bulkhead to connect to it that is a 4* swine to fit and which is quite short but for some reason cost far more to buy! while you are down there check the fuel pipes they get an equal battering with salt etc if the brake pipe is bad its likely they are too Derek

Reply to
Del

No, as long as it is secure and has no leaks, all they check for on the MOT is corrosion, security and no chaffing of the pipe caused by insecurity and movement. Happy Fiddling.

Reply to
Ernstblowfeld

Hah! - already did the fuel pipes last year :-)))

Did the brake pipe today in a single piece end to end, the only real problem I had was trying to obtain the lock nuts that secure the flexible pipes to the clamp plates - they are 10mm wide with a 1mm pitch, after wasting a few hours trying to source one locally I had to cut down a female brake nipple to 'invent' a locknut. Also remade all the right hand front pipes and both rear pipes with no real worries - locked the new pipes to the chassis rails with nylon cable clips which our MoT guy is happy with.

Local car place stocked the twin female joining device mentioned above - useful thing to think about in the future, but in this case I managed Ok

Thanks for all the info - retest on Friday Bugger! must get the headlights realigned and bolt the rear wing back on :-))

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme
[snip]