Brakes engaging at different points

We have a 1989 Escort as our second car - everything is mechanically sound and runs well, but over the past few weeks I've noticed that the brakes are engaging at different points when pressing the pedal.

This isn't a huge problem as they always work, but occasionally there's very little resistance until you press the pedal almost right down to the bottom and this is really disconcerting. I'm a little worried that this may happen at a time when I need to stop quickly and am avoiding using the car until the problem is resolved.

This obviously needs looking at, but before it goes into the garage can anyone give me an idea as to what may be the problem (and if it's simple, is this something I can fix myself?)

Any help and advice really appreciated, thanks.

Reply to
tireless.orion

I assume there's no loss of fluid in this case. In which case this is a problem I had. Does the level at which resistance is felt determined by the speed the pedal is depressed? I would initially suspect the seals in the master cylinder.

Reply to
Fred

The message from "Fred" contains these words:

Or possibly a dodgy handbrake adjuster allowing the shoes to slip back occasionally. But yes, the master sounds the more likely.

Reply to
Guy King

Could be wheel bearings, or master cylinder. And if the latter it can be a real problem when it finally gives up!

Reply to
Stuffed

Thanks to all - was indeed the master cylinder. Now replaced and back to driving around able to stop when required.

Reply to
tireless.orion