Bumper repair advice

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a Ford Focus (1.6LX, 2002). However the (plastic?) front bumper is damaged at the top nearside corner. The bumper has been pulled away from the body and sticks out about 1cm, and there is a 1cm long split nearby, along the top edge. I tried pushing the corner back into position but it just sprung out again.

This is my only reservation about the car which. But before making the chap an offer, I'd like to know how much it might cost to fix it. I believe a new bumper, sprayed to match (metallic silver) would be about £400-£500 which would be silly.

Questions:

- is this something I could repair myself? How would I go about it?

- do I stand a realistic chance of picking up a second hand front bumper in metallic silver and in good condition (fit it myself)? What might it cost?

- is this something one of the minor-damage-repair companies could fix? What might it cost?

Any feedback gratefully received.

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Nah they're like hens teeth mate. No focuses knocking around breakers at all mate ;). I suspect the difficulty will be more in fitting the new bumper than finding it.

Reply to
Doki

New bumpers sprayed to your colour start on ebay for £130 delivered. I've no idea of the quality etc.....

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

I took a plastic bumper with a 2ft crack in it still fitted to the car. They repaired it and repainted it (metallic colour) for £100.

Reply to
Conor

Has it popped off a bracket at the back?

Reply to
John

[Sorry John - accidentally replied to your personal email. Here's the Group reply...]

The car is about 20 miles away so I can't check. However I don't think the bumper has simply com off a brack. Its split and, as far as I can tell, permanently bent.

Reply to
Steve

Does it need repairing? Is it legal, is it safe, will it pass it's MOT? Do you just want it to look nice?

My crappy old Mundano has a multiply cracked front bumper and I've never worried about it. Passes it's MOT.

The back bumper of my clunker BMW has been hanging off on one side for years. No point pushing it back onto it's mounting as it pops off at any excuse. MOT pass for many years.

Nearside 'quarter' of rear bumper on my VW is held on internally with cable ties. Invisible repair, MOT pass.

Sorry, I forgot the questiuon ;-)

Al.

Reply to
Al

hello , this is in reply to you'r repair .. yes you can fix it in no time at all ... easy. ready .. i'll help you and you can send me the

5.00 repair bill .. jk . steps...... 1 . scuff the are with an scotch cloth good .
  1. pull the split away as far as you can
  2. realy scratch the area only in the crack( both edges of the crack)
  3. if the bumper is warped in any way , use a blow dryer to warm the area up and slowly push it back as if it were never broken.
  4. if you did not have to do step 4 , then u have done , step 3.
6 .get a 2 part apoxy , cost 10.00 ( plastic to plastic ) 2 part . nothing else will work.
  1. apply into the crack and let harden for 5 min while holding it into place , once you are shure you can let it go then grab , the blow dryer and help it along. . once it is dry 20 min or so then . scratch it up a bit .
8 . then apply a thin coat of iceing . ( a light body filler.) not bondo . will never stay.
  1. let dry and apply if needed, sand to a smooth finish . ( apply an
*************(etch primer)************* again normal primer dose not adhere to urathen bumpers. when dry scuff with 400 wet sand paper , all you need . 400 fine . clean off area of all dust .. tack rag. 10 . apply paint , light dustings at a time . to match you'r paint. their you go good luck ..you'r repair is done with the help of snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com if you get stuck you can call me at 1-315-289-5731. u.s.a
Reply to
CHRIS