Buying new battery, Ah rating important?

I am looking to replace my old car battery. The current one is an 065 (uk ref) 59 Ah, Haynes manual says it should be 60 Ah. I have noticed that a lot of the new 065 batteries are only 55 Ah. Is there much difference between 60 Ah spec and 55 Ah? Will it make any difference? The car is only a base model with no toys.

Each time I buy a new battery the cold cranking capacity seems to increase on the same size battery. Old one is 495, the new ones are

540.

Any preference on make? Exide, Varta, Bosch etc?

Reply to
G Wilson

No.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

I'm not so sure that make is all that important. I usually go for the cheapest HD battery I can find, that will fit in the tray Preferably with a

3 year guarantee. The last one I baught was a Lucas from Halfords, because I needed one quickly, and was in no state to fit it myself. Before that I had a couple of 'Fleetmaster' batteries. The first lasted over 5 years, the second is still going strong, but it's only about 18 months old so it should be. Similar capacity to the Lucas, but only about half the price. Try ringing local motor factors, rather than garages. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

G Wilson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The cold cramking capacity is a measure of the amount of power the battery is capable of supplying. Cranking is by far the biggest consumer of power, that's why is referred to as CCC. The higher this is the better.

Ah represents the amount of energy stored by the battery i.e. how long it will last before running flat. A diffence of 5 between old and new won't matter, as long as you have a healthy alternator keeping it charged.

Doesn't matter about make, but I'd go for one with a 3 year warranty for peace of mind.

Reply to
Stu

It won't make any difference, unless your car is a very reluctant starter.

Reply to
Malc

Only if you want to crank it longer.

Reply to
Conor

Or regularly park for long periods with side lights on, or want to park with a car fridge on.... etc. etc. etc.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

For mine, Halfords wanted something like 55 quid for a regular battery. I got one from my local factors for less than 25 quid with a 2 year warranty. For me, I'm willing to take a chance.

Reply to
adder1969

I'm amazed there was that difference in price if they were both two year warranty batteries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)